Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina advice? >
  • Bernina advice?

• Bernina advice?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:22 PM

If I want a machine with a stitich regulator, which machine would you all reccommend? I do not need a embroidiary machine with it either, I just want want a new Bernina with a stitch regulator! Thanks!!
    Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
    Power Poster

I think the cheapest one with the BSR is the Quilters Edition, but I may be wrong on that, so I suggest you contact a B. dealer. Both the 630 and 730 do have the BSR, and can be bought without the embroidery modules, which would make them a whole lot cheaper. They still have a good variety of built in stiches, and I like that for machine crazy patchwork. Hope that helps.
    Old 10-16-2009, 03:43 PM

I have a Bernina 630 without the embroidery unit. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this machine and don't think I could ever give it up -- even as a trade in toward their new HUGE 830.

I wrote a review of my machine on my sewing room photos if that helps. The interface with the 430 and 440 are different but be assured these are ALL high quality (very well built) machines.

Here's what I have to say about my sewing partner, the 630:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2720227176/

Old 10-16-2009, 03:55 PM

I have the Bernina Aurora 430 with the BSR and love this machine. It's still pretty spendy, but well worth the cost. I'm not into embroidery, but this sewing machine will do everything else! I used it to quilt up to a king-size quilt using both the walking foot and the BSR without any problems. I've sewn on Bernina's for about 40 years and swear by them.
    Old 10-16-2009, 03:56 PM

I have a 630 as well. Though I do have the embroidery module with mine. It is a great machine with lots of stitches and options
    I am still learning the best way to use the BSR foot. Sometimes I find it annoying and I am forever going too fast (it will let you know with an annoying sound if it feels you are moving too fast) I try to go slow but find I can't make a nice curve at the speed it "allows" I frequently turn off the annoying alarm when I am working.
    Old 10-16-2009, 04:24 PM
    Power Poster

I have the 640 with the emb module. I didn't buy the BSR because I couldn't see paying $800 for it when I do just fine without it.

Bernina's are great machines tho!!
    Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM

I have a Bernina that was bought by my grandparents in the 90's. It is a 1090 and still works really great. Consider also you can get a used one many times people upgrade and trade in another Bernina. Also I checked out a Bernina around 1 year ago I fell in love with it but decided not to buy it. It was around 1100.00
    Good luck on your new purchase!!!!!
    Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 PM
    Power Poster

I have the 200E...which is the same as the 730...but I bought it used. It does have the BSR and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I can FMQ without it, but it just makes it so much more enjoyable to use. You can buy a machine without getting the embroidery module to go with it...but look for a used one...you might get the whole package..you might not use the EMB. mod., but then again, you might want to someday.
    Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks so much for all your advice!!! I do have a Bernina already, its an older one, a Quilters Edition 1080, but its my baby! I absolutely love it, and would never want to trade it in! I also have a Pfaff 2144 with an embroidiary module. I have to say, that while, yes, the Pfaff is an amazing sewing machine, it pales next to the Bernina! I love quilting on the Bernina, but think maybe I'd like a BSR one! Thanks for all your good words of wisdom!!
    Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 PM

I just got the Bernina 640 with the emb. unit and it came with the stitch regulator. I haven't tried it yet. Have to check how to put it on first.