Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina Virtuosa 163 >
  • Bernina Virtuosa 163

• Bernina Virtuosa 163

Old 05-12-2017, 03:39 AM

Default Bernina Virtuosa 163

Does anyone know how to check the hours on this machine?

Thanks!
    Old 05-12-2017, 05:11 AM
    Power Poster

I'm not 100% positive but I believe that is only something an authorized Bernina dealer or service technician can do.
    Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 AM

I think you're right, feline fanatic.

Okay, I just googled. If you google, there are some youtubes telling you how to check hours. There are some for different models so you might have to look and find one close to yours and try that. I'm actually going to check mine tonight. It would be interesting to see how many hours I have on my 20 year old Bernina.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-12-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    Old 05-12-2017, 11:57 AM
    Power Poster

No, there is a video on checking the time and stitches on U Tube. Just look up bernina tutorials. It is in with those.
    Old 05-12-2017, 05:34 PM

I don't believe it's an option for that model. Here's a link I found on YouTube: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/296604325433803724/ But it's for a machine with a touch screen, and the buttons aren't the same. I know how to do it on the 4 Series up to the 7 Series machines, but have never done it on the Virtuosos.

I think it's a big no-no for a Bernina dealer to give that info out to the general public. You can imagine what a customer could mess up if they got into the service panel and started pushing buttons they didn't understand. It could turn into a big problem!
    Old 05-13-2017, 03:23 AM

I've always wondered if the service guy resets the hours during the Bernina spa day.
    Old 05-13-2017, 05:57 PM

Yes, we re-set the hours on the service panel when you bring your machine in for a service. But only on the 4 - 8 Series machines. It's like the mileage meter on your car. There's a "trip" counter that can be re-set, but the total mileage cannot be re-set. On some of them, we can even see how much time you've used the BSR, embroidery and regular stitches.

When the oil light or service light comes on your machine, it doesn't necessarily mean your machine needs oiling or servicing. It just means you've gone so many stitches, and it's just a reminder. So, when the light comes on, you don't have to worry about hurting the machine, because the light is on. And if you oil the machine, that doesn't make the light go off. It's just a stitch count that makes it turn on.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 05-13-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    Old 05-13-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine
    Yes, we re-set the hours on the service panel when you bring your machine in for a service. But only on the 4 - 8 Series machines. It's like the mileage meter on your car. There's a "trip" counter that can be re-set, but the total mileage cannot be re-set. On some of them, we can even see how much time you've used the BSR, embroidery and regular stitches.

When the oil light or service light comes on your machine, it doesn't necessarily mean your machine needs oiling or servicing. It just means you've gone so many stitches, and it's just a reminder. So, when the light comes on, you don't have to worry about hurting the machine, because the light is on. And if you oil the machine, that doesn't make the light go off. It's just a stitch count that makes it turn on.
    Wow, interesting! I learn something new every day! I had no idea that some sewing machines had a 'mileage meter'! Is it only Bernina that puts that in their machines, or do other manufactures do it too?
    Old 05-13-2017, 07:08 PM

Yes, lots of machines have a stitch counter.
    Old 05-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Accessing the service panel is done by pushing the right buttons. I've accessed it on my Bernina 180 becaue I bought it used, but just haven't been interested enough to find out how to do it on my other machines.