Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • best quilt shops in Lancaster County, PA? >
  • best quilt shops in Lancaster County, PA?

• best quilt shops in Lancaster County, PA?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM

I love Log Cabin quilt shop. They have enlarged it recently And it's wonderful. As for Obie's, it is claustrophobic but if you can handle it, it's worth it because it looks like a lot of her fabric has been hanging around for a while, and I don't think she raises the prices. So you can find an older bolt it might have a good price on it. Also love Burkholders and Sauders. Their bolt sale is coming up in a couple of weeks. Enjoy!!!
    Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 PM
    ro
    Banned

1st go up to martin's in cumberland ($3.79 flat fold and they have tables stacked with every pattern and color you'd want); then burkholders, sauders (i dont care for this store); head to shady brook farm for buffet; in same shopping center is good's ($2 a yard, not the greatest but fine for placemats or something you dont care about); then head into lancaster and hit the shops there. if i only went to martin's i'd be happy and know i got what i wanted and didnt pay alot of money for it.
    Old 06-05-2014, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewsue
    I really like Log Cabin. They have some unusual things besides just fabric. Zooks and Sauders are great. Old Country Store always had a great variety. As for Obie's, wow, is that a scary place. It is SO overcrowded that you really can't see anything. The bolts are stacked on shelves with the ends facing out in huge piles. You need to tell the workers what you are looking for. We were told not to touch anything- ask for help as a stack of bolts had fallen on a customer. We DID notice metal shopping carts filled with fabric on the stores porch when we parked. That was a clue to what was inside. To be honest, there was nothing I needed bad enough to buy there. It was beyond claustrophobic. I felt like I was in a tunnel maze. Once was enough. It was definitely an experience.
    I agree with your assessment of Obie's!! Last time I was there (last summer) the porch was filled with boxes and boxes of fabric.
    Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 AM

I like Weavers just outside Lititz. Pa. Only a short distance from Lancaster. .
    Old 06-05-2014, 04:10 AM

I like Weavers in Lititz Pa. and Dutchland Quilt patch on Rte 30 Both are great shops Sorry for the douoble post but wanted to add the second quilt shop

Last edited by mic-pa; 06-05-2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: adding something else
    Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM

I was at all these shops a year ago in April. AWESOME AND FUN! I cannot speak for Burkholders in Denver--didn't get there:-( That is the down side of being on a tour.... Have fun, Michelleoc:-)
    Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    My personal favorites are Old Country Store (now that it's re-opened!) and Quilt and Fabric Shack in Bird-in-Hand. Fabric Shack has the nicest and largest selection of flannel of any store I've ever been to. Zooks in near Old Country Store as well. Pick up one of the little yellow fold out papers listing points of interest in the area. Will give you a rough map of where everything is and how far apart as well as list most of the shops in the area.
    Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM

Oh my gosh!! Thank you so much everyone! The people I'm traveling with are not quilters (I can't imagine, can you?!?!), but they are patient about letting me wander and feel fabric. Last time I went to the Amish area of Ohio, I had to FedEx my fabrics home!
    Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM

Let me know when you are going to be in the area. I'm in Lancaster County and we can meet up for lunch or something. All the places that have been mentioned are nice. My favorites, I think, are Sylvia's and Log Cabin. I didn't know that the Country Store opened back up. Haven't been down in that area in a few weeks. Will be out and about tomorrow, so will have to check it out.
    Old 09-14-2014, 05:05 PM

I happen to love Obie's except for the fact that it is a distance to drive. It is also easy to miss and parking is limited. But I can nearly always finds great fabric there and I don't mind digging. Because it's so overwhelming, it turns people off but I love this kind of sort of store--the lady certainly knows her store and where things are. I shop there every chance I get and take my out-of-town guests there also.

Another great find is the Goodville Fabric Outlet behind the Goodville Mennonite Church. Great backings, and fat quarters and all sorts of remnant pieces.
    Old 09-16-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewsue
    I really like Log Cabin. They have some unusual things besides just fabric. Zooks and Sauders are great. Old Country Store always had a great variety. As for Obie's, wow, is that a scary place. It is SO overcrowded that you really can't see anything. The bolts are stacked on shelves with the ends facing out in huge piles. You need to tell the workers what you are looking for. We were told not to touch anything- ask for help as a stack of bolts had fallen on a customer. We DID notice metal shopping carts filled with fabric on the stores porch when we parked. That was a clue to what was inside. To be honest, there was nothing I needed bad enough to buy there. It was beyond claustrophobic. I felt like I was in a tunnel maze. Once was enough. It was definitely an experience.
    Have to agree about Obie's. Beyond claustrophobic definitely describes it! It's so overwhelming, I just walked in and walked out my second time there. First time spent maybe 10-15 minutes, then had to get out.

Edit: Didn't realize I had posted on this thread in June!

Last edited by quiltin-nannie; 09-16-2014 at 05:20 AM.