Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >
  • The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

• The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:26 AM

The best reaction to a gift of a quilt was from my 8 year old grandson. I made him an I Spy quilt. When I asked him what he liked best on the quilt he replied "I love that YOU made it for me."
    Old 12-14-2016, 06:29 AM

Grandma Mary....you had me in tears..what an honor!

I have made several quilts that people treasure. Three years ago, my favorite brother in law passed away unexpectedly. After the funeral I offered to make tee shirt quilts for them from his tee shirts. Several months later, I received a box in the mail full of his tee shirts and was asked to make 3 quilts, one of each of his sons. I finished them all and shipped them back to Virginia. Within a week, I received 3 tearful phone calls from my nephews thanking me for the quilts. Mind you, they were in their late 40's and they were in tears and letting me know how much the quilts were treasured. They lost their mom 2 months ago. We were in Virginia for the funeral and each quilt has a place of honor in each of their homes.

A year and a half ago, I lost my brother. I made a sweat shirt quilt for his partner and with a few left over pieces, I made a matching on for his dog, Rosie. They both love those quilts. Rosie sits by the washer and dryer when it's being washed. She knows it is hers. I also made a neck tie quilt for my brother's only child and sent it to her for Christmas last year as one last gift from her dad. She had given her dad several of the ties for Christmas or Father's day. When she was married this summer, the quilt was on display on a memory table along with a picture of her and her dad. I was so moved that the quilt meant so much to her.

This is why I quilt. Not only because I love the creativity of it but because the time and work means so much love goes into it. Our LQS has a picture on the wall that says "A blanket warms the body but a quilt warms the soul." Very true, indeed.
    Attached Thumbnails 2014-02-23_11.14.33.jpg   2014-02-23_11.12.09.jpg   2014-02-23_11.13.20.jpg   2015-11-21_10.36.03.jpg  

Last edited by maryb119; 12-14-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    Old 12-14-2016, 06:31 AM

The best reaction was from my 8 year old grandson when I gave him an I Spy quilt. I asked him what he liked best about the quilt, thinking he would choose one of the blocks. He said "I love that YOU made it for me!"
    Old 12-14-2016, 06:33 AM

OOps, sorry, I didn't think it posted the first time.
    Old 12-14-2016, 07:37 AM

Mine is from my grandmother-in-law. A couple years ago I made a quilt for her for Christmas, and she was so touched she cried! She told me that she's always loved quilts but nobody in her entire life had ever made one just for her. So that made me cry too. I made her another, lightweight quilt for Christmas last year and she cried again! So I cried again!

Every time I see her she tells me how much she loves her quilts and how she can feel the love in them whenever she touches them and she always keeps both on the bed with her at all times. It's so sweet! She's getting pretty far up there in years and is unfortunately completely bedridden at this point, but she's still sharp as a tack and amazingly positive and upbeat. I made a comment once about how I admire how she's always so positive and she told me that when she starts to feel sad or lonely she hugs her quilts and thinks about how I made them just for her and that cheers her right back up. Pretty sure she was just being nice, but what a lovely thing to hear!
    Old 12-14-2016, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

Never heard of Lemierre's! Looked it up! Lucky young lady and family, healthier daughter to wrap her up in warmth fo family and quilt from grandma. [QUOTE=cindi;7718313]Mine was from my granddaughter, who was finally home recouperating after a terrifying hospital stay when she contracted Lemierre's Syndrome. DH, DGD, DIL, and I were sitting on the deck and I handed her the gift box. She immediately headed straight for the house. I asked where she was going, and she said "I know this is a quilt, and I can't open it outside. It's like the flag
    Old 12-14-2016, 07:55 AM

I'm so glad she liked your gift because I can imagine how it must have made you feel that it pleased the gifter!!! I l really enjoyed your story!!!
    Old 12-14-2016, 07:58 AM

wow!!! nice quilt!!
    Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 AM

What wonderful feelings and remarks and gratitude for jobs, well done. Gives each of you "givers" a warm glow in your hearts, I am sure.
    Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 AM

luv the colors!!! niiiiiiiiice!!! This thread is awesome....hope to see more!

Last edited by Sew Freak; 12-14-2016 at 08:17 AM.