Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best self healing cutting mat--large???? >
  • Best self healing cutting mat--large????

• Best self healing cutting mat--large????

Old 01-04-2019, 05:26 PM

I actually contacted Martelli about the problem with the mat and they told me that do not honor a return if another cutter has been used on their mat.???? I actually got the cutter too but I am not a fan so I just went back to my Olfa.
    Old 01-05-2019, 06:42 AM

I have an Olfa but also Quilter's Select. Quilter's Select is my favorite.
    Old 01-05-2019, 07:44 AM

If you have to press hard with your rotary cutter CHANGE THE BLADE! I have been ordering blades from Amazon and change them much more often than I would with the blades that cost so much more. I have a Martelli mat and turntable and have had no problems cutting the mat.
    Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 AM
    CR

I purchased an Olfa, it was two years before I could use it because it smelled like skunk. When I did use it it cut through and I was using an Olfa cutter. I have only used it for two years. I will not buy another one.
    Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM
    Power Poster

If you have to press hard with your rotary cutter CHANGE THE BLADE!

Yes!
    I have never understood using a skipping or worn blade. I hear someone say but it's still new, I changed it not long ago. I change blades at first skip. I have quiet a few cutters so I reach for another one and put the one with the bad blade in a basket to change later. Blades and machine needles are the most inexpensive items I buy for quilting.
    Old 01-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I have seen so many quilters at retreats that put so much pressure on the cutter that it goes into the mat. Some say they want to make sure it cuts all the way through. Some say the blade is skipping so they have to press to get it to cut. No wonder their hand and shoulder hurts. I use a weighted cutter so I don't have to push it through the fabric.
    OnebyOne, what weighted cutter do you use? I wasn't aware such a thing exists. Is the premise that it's heavier so requires less pressure? TIA.
    Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 AM
    Power Poster

I use Quilter's Select rotary cutter. I have a Gingher one too and a Tulip Pink one. Lots of Olfa ones in different colors. I like the Quilter's Select best. I have three of those. Every time I go to Paducah quilt showI buy the Quilter's Select Special box for $99 that has the rotary cutter, thread, QS ruler, mat etc.
    Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I have seen so many quilters at retreats that put so much pressure on the cutter that it goes into the mat. Some say they want to make sure it cuts all the way through. Some say the blade is skipping so they have to press to get it to cut. No wonder their hand and shoulder hurts. I use a weighted cutter so I don't have to push it through the fabric.
    What's a weighted cutter??
    Old 01-05-2019, 04:25 PM

Also it helps your mat to soak it in water for an hour or so a few times a year. An Olfa Rep told me this at the Road to CA show years back and my mats are in great shape. Like others I do change my blades once I know they are skipping. When I started on the QB people talked about the various sales on blades on the internet and I kept ordering them. Some are rather old now and I need to heat them with a hair dryer to get them apart.
    Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606304[/ATTACH]This mat, is a healing mat, and It is very large, nice to work on. You can get them even bigger than the one I have. You can see it comes from the USA, and that is where I found mine. They have their web address on the mat in the picture. I purchase my rotary blades from LP Sharp, and send them my old ones, then get new Olfa blades from them as well.
    Attached Thumbnails cutting-mat.jpg