Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best Sewing Machine Oil? >
  • Best Sewing Machine Oil?

• Best Sewing Machine Oil?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, everyone!
    Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    try the tri-flow oil. many of the vintage machines we score today have sat forever without use so your kenmore cannot use that as an excuse. maybe you just need to oil more frequently like every day. i am sewing on my singer 15-91 (i just love jo-jo) and i oil her everyday. she just purrs along happily.
    Last time I was sewing on her, I got maybe a good hour's worth of sewing done, before having to give her more oil. After the third time (same sitting), I just gave up and decided to buy a new machine. I've oiled and let her sit. Doesn't help. A relatively short while after oiling and starting to sew, the problem starts. I'll start a new seam and she hesitates, until I put more pressure on the pedal, which causes her to race ahead.

Will try to get a good picture, of the area I think may be the problem.
    Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
    Power Poster

Aside from oiling, have you lubed the gears? Lube *goes* get old, sticky and gummy. On old machines I get a tube of sewing machine lubrication, try to scrape off as much as I can of the old stuff on the gears, then add new lubrication. Just be careful where you put the lubrication -- it goes *only* on gears (the things with teeth).

It may be that when you put new oil on, there's enough excess oil to compensate for sticky gears.
    Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM

If it's sewing, slows and down and then races when you push on the pedal, it sounds like the pedal itself could be faulty. I would definitely get that checked out. It could be overheating and causing problems like that.
    Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM

From what I've learned about oiling and lubricating (and yes, tri flow is the best!), it should be oil and sew. Not oil and sit. The older machines have a lot of metal to metal places that need TLC. I also agree that the foot pedal might have an issue.
    Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Aside from oiling, have you lubed the gears? Lube *goes* get old, sticky and gummy. On old machines I get a tube of sewing machine lubrication, try to scrape off as much as I can of the old stuff on the gears, then add new lubrication. Just be careful where you put the lubrication -- it goes *only* on gears (the things with teeth).

It may be that when you put new oil on, there's enough excess oil to compensate for sticky gears.
    oh yes. i forgot about the lube. you need to do that also but less frequently. and regarding the foot pedal, my 25+ yr old babylock was having problems in the foot pedal. when i called for a replacement was told $35+. so i took the foot pedal apart to inspect it. what i found was that one of the striker pieces (when you depress the pedal) had worn down and could no longer strike properly. so i turned that piece around to use the less worn part and presto, we were back in business again.

Last edited by Havplenty; 07-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 AM

I purchased some sewing machine oil from a Bernina dealer, don't know the brand. But, he did tell me that machine oil should be clear. If its yellow, dispose of it and purchase new stuff.
    Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    the vintage machine group swears by tri-flow. it's on my list of oils to get. you can also ask on that thread about your kenmore and its issues. maybe someone can assist or have had the same issues and can offer some advice.
    I agree with Havplenty. Post a pic of your sewing machine on the Vintage board. I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions. I also agree with some of the others that the real issue may be the foot controller.
    Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 AM

Could this group be any more informative....I think not...you are all so giving of information and concerned about others problems and wanting to help.....
    Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM

I don't think it's the foot pedal, as when the sticking occurs, the hand wheel is also sluggish to turn. Here's a picture, of the possible problem area (2), along with some mysterious goop (1). In the (2) area, there's a groove/scratch, which probably shouldn't be there. Can't get into the area, to see the plates on either side. The (2) spot is one to be oiled; the oil doesn't seem to stay on it, at all.
    The goop feels like Vaseline. Could that be a build-up of old oil?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]349937[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails kenmorequestions.jpg  

Last edited by Neesie; 07-18-2012 at 08:04 AM.