Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best Thread to use for Quilting? >
  • Best Thread to use for Quilting?

• Best Thread to use for Quilting?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Headed in town to take care of a few things and I was going to stop at JoAnn Fabs. I need to get some thread to do some quilting and I was wondering what the best kind to get was?
    Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Hand quilting is best with hand quilting thread :) On Machine Quilting I don't know what is recommended but I use the same thread I piece with. I figure if it's good enough to hold the patchwork together then it should be good enough to hold the quilt together. Although, I only quilt with white or off white thread anyway. Colors add a whole new ball game that I do not know the rules to! :)
    Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Aurifil and Superior are my faves, but I don't know if JoAnn's would have them. They might have Mettler. My local JA has only C&C and Gutermann, and I dislike both. I've heard nothing but good things about Connecting Threads (online). When my Aurifil stash gets depleted, I plan to try them.
    Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 AM

I have used Star thread from JAs before. Both of my machines did well with it, but it was pretty linty. I don't mind the lint, but some people do. My favs are King Tut and Permacore. I don't think my JAs carries those tho.
    Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM

I've only started long-arming, so my experience is limited, but I find Coats and Clark to be substandard to King Tut. It just doesn't make as nice a stitch. I also find that I have tension problems with the C&C that I don't have with the King Tut. I quilt with an Avante.
    Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 AM

IMHO Joanne's doesn't carry great thread. You can order it online, though. I'm also a big Aurifil fan.
    Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    IMHO Joanne's doesn't carry great thread. You can order it online, though. I'm also a big Aurifil fan.
    I'm going to try that one next. I don't have a lot of thread yet, so I'm not committed to only one brand
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Well JAs' only had Coats& Clarks quilting thread. I picked up 1 white and a blue. The also had the Sulky on sale for 40% off. I did pick up a neon pink,But it is 100% Viskose. Can u use embroidery thread for machine quilting? I thought this pink would look great for on a little girls quilt:-)

I am on www.connectingthreads.com now looking at the EssentialPRO Cone Thread 100% polyester. Is this the one you guys are saying that you like?
    Old 04-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Viscose is rayon, and rayon isn't bleach safe or colorfast. So.....for high use items (washed often) and for baby quilts etc. it may not be the best choice. I use rayon for wallhangings etc. Polyester is more stable and for high use quilts. The essential pro you're asking about is polyester and my preference is to use 100% cotton for piecing. I also tend to use 100% cotton for machine quilting too, unless I'm doing thread painting or applique where I want the appliques to pop. Then I'd use poly embroidery thread. But, it's all preference../
    Old 04-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Do a search for suggestions. There have been lots posted before. I ( and my machine) REALLY like the thread from Connection Threads. The price is right at 1200 yds for $2.49 and there is a great variety of colors. I have not had problem with breaking or fuzzing. I have ordered many colors to use for FMQ and more nuetral colors for peicing. Free shipping on orders over $50. That means that you can get 20 spools of your favorite colors alot cheaper than at Joann's. Get items fast!!!!!!!!