Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best way to mark a quilt top? >
  • Best way to mark a quilt top?

• Best way to mark a quilt top?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
    The Frixion pens are AWESOME! I bought a couple at the Houston quilt show and then got more from Staples. You will love them. I have several colors but I use the black and orange the most.
    I wonder why I haven't seen these?! Sounds awesome. Gonna have to check it out. Tks.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 AM
    Power Poster

I use several methods. I love to use the blue/purple pens for lighter backgrounds. I use the golden threads paper a lot also (but you have to tear that off). For borders, one of the best ideas is to use toilet paper...its the perfect width (usually) and really easy to tear off!

You will need to either get a light box or use your window to trace the pattern on your blocks or whatever if you are using a pen/pencil. If you use one of the papers, just trace over the pattern, pin in place and go. if you are using a stitch regulator, you will have to go with a pen/pencil as the laser light can't count the threads through the paper though...Another good way to mark is to use...or darn...I can't think of the name of it..its that fabric that is very loosly woven and has holes in it...you trace the pattern on that fabric, then position that on your blocks and trace over it again...it leaves the marks on your blocks where the holes in the fabric are--clear as mud?? Sorry my brain isn't working this morning.

I'm going to look for that new pen!

Right now I'm using a chalk pencil on a dark chocolate background.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 AM

Forgot to mention that I like "borders by the roll" a lot, too. Comes in various widths and is self-adhesive. You sew on the lines and tear it away also.
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Thanks for all the good info!!! :P :P :P
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 AM

Just an FYI, I have looked at Walmart and Office Depot and could not find the Pilot pen there. I am going to try Staples or will have to order from Amazon.
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Walgreens has them for a little less, may not have the colors you want. I saw them on their website.
    Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks, will go to Staples to buy Frixion Pens. Have just about every marker on the market including the Pounce and not very happy with them. Will also be trying the Crayola washable markers, heard they wash out very nicely with a little bit of soap and water.
    Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM

I think I've tried them all except the paper. I've found the chalk pencils to work best with stencils. Sometimes I have to photocopy the image to the size I want and then I use a double-bladed exacto (from The Stencil Company) to cut the lines (sometimes I just use the paper and sometimes cardboard).

I loved the Clover pens but they sure do disappear! The blue Dritz pens work but don't last long and that gets expensive. I like the Fons & Porter or Sewline lots of colors) or Bohn mechanical chalk pencils. I can change the chalk to the color I need (for one quilt I used 3 different colors).

Just read about someone using freezer paper instead of the Golden Threads paper.
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM

I use the Fons and Porter marker that has interchangable leads. The color comes out with a spritz of water. You can make your marks as light or as dark as you need. I think there are now 4 or 5 colors. Black, white, green, yellow and pink. They are great, but I am anxious to find he frixion ones at Staples. I wonder who else carries them, Staples is far away for me, unless I order online
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM

Oddly enough, I use the leftover soap (bars). No cost and work well especially on darker fabric.