Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best way to mark a quilt top? >
  • Best way to mark a quilt top?

• Best way to mark a quilt top?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 AM

Here's a video and an update on the effects of the Pilot pen http://pamkittymorning.blogspot.com/2011/01/wow.html
    Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM

i bought the frixion pens and tried them on a s scrap and couldn't get the ink out of the scrap. Am I doing something wrong?
    Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Momofthree
    Just an FYI, I have looked at Walmart and Office Depot and could not find the Pilot pen there. I am going to try Staples or will have to order from Amazon.
    MomofThree - I bought a package of 3 pens all highlighters at Hobby Lobby. They only had the highlighters and they are in the Art supply/pen department. I like the way they work using a stencil or templet, but have had some problems getting the color out. Haven't washed the quilt yet,as I am not finished with it. Violet
    Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 PM

I have copied patterns on foundation paper and pinned on the quilt and sewed on the lines. This works well for me.
    Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
    I have copied patterns on foundation paper and pinned on the quilt and sewed on the lines. This works well for me.
    I have a friend that uses the cling wrap that covers your bowls and doesn't let things spill. She draws the design on that w/ a sharpie and then just sews through the wrap. She says it takes more needles [she hand quilts] to finish her quilt but that it works great. It just sticks to the material while you quilt.
    Bev
    Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by sewing4kix
    Hi, what is the best product/way to mark a finished quilt top? I want to do decorative stitching with my machine maybe even free motion and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I have seen iron-on transfer patterns, transfer pens, and other stuff. I bought a quilter's marker-like pen that promises to wash out or just dissapear, but it does dissapear before I have finished sewing along my pattern.

I have a design in a pattern book that I want to put along a boarder but am not sure how to get in onto my quilt so I can see it to stitch over it. I am good at free hand drawing but am just not sure.

How do you guys do this?????? Do you use a stencil and trace it on??

HELP lol!
    Buy the translucent or clear acrylic sheet, and trace the pattern off onto the plastic, then carefully cut around the pattern and mark on quilt with disappearing ink, only mark small areas at a time, some inside lines you won't even have to mark as when you are stitching your eye will complete the line for you as you stitch. I recently did a couble braided cable like this and it looks perfect. :-D
    Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    Originally Posted by Tweety2911
    Thanks, will go to Staples to buy Frixion Pens. Have just about every marker on the market including the Pounce and not very happy with them. Will also be trying the Crayola washable markers, heard they wash out very nicely with a little bit of soap and water.
    I've tried the frixion pen yesterday and found that it does do some damage to the fabric, won't use it again
    I agree, you have to rub hard enough to cause friction, and it distorts the fabric. :-o
    Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM

I've tried the frixion pen yesterday and found that it does do some damage to the fabric, won't use it again[/quote]

I agree, you have to rub hard enough to cause friction, and it distorts the fabric. :-o[/quote]

**You don't have to rub with the FriXion marker on fabric, you just touch it with a hot dry iron. It works great. Immediately disappears.
    Robin in Brownwood TX
    Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM
    Banned

go to www.quiltingstencils.com and look at their catalog.
    The regular pounce will come off while you are quilting if lots of rubbing. Might not stay on for you to finish. I use the Multi-pastel chalk pencil in either white or light gray. Marks well and erases and washes out. On light fabrics if the piece is going to be washed I use the fine tip market, not the diappearing one.
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Do you quilt with the clear contact paper on your quilt and then tear it away after quilting?