Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • best way to sandwhich and baste a quilt >
  • best way to sandwhich and baste a quilt

• best way to sandwhich and baste a quilt

Old 02-02-2014, 05:10 AM

I love this method using boards, but I spray baste, not thread baste. It really makes it much easier to handle when you don't have a large table to work on.

Here's a link to azwendyg's post. She covers her boards in flannel and it makes all the difference!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...mq-t91013.html
    Old 02-02-2014, 05:58 AM

I use susan shamber's method of thread basting. My quilts don't shift as i am quilting - i hand quilt. I am currently working on a king size quilt. I did go to the church to baste it because i could use the tables in the parish hall. Had an office chair w/ wheels on it and could wheel back and forth...THAT was the cat's meow!! Took about 4 hours to bast the quilt.

I don't like pins because for a bedsize quilt, they're too heavy. Don't want spray baste because I don't want all that overspray every where. The glue - i can't imagine trying to hand quilt thru the areas of hardened glue - i remove the basting threads as i go.
    Old 02-02-2014, 07:10 AM
    Power Poster

i just started using elmer's washable school glue and i love it!
    Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 AM

I love spray basting. It holds very securely throughout the quilting process and if there is a problem, I can always reposition the fabric.

First, I secure the backing to my dining table with masking tape (but I want to get some clips,) then I lay out the batting and smooth it down. I fold back one side of the batting and lightly spray. I carefully fold the batting back down on the sprayed backing, then do the same on the other side. I take extra time to smooth it all so there are no lumps or folds. I repeat the process with the quilt top. I flip the quilt over and smooth some more and repeat this several times until I have a nice, smooth sandwich of fabric.
    Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 AM

I'm an Elmer's School Glue basting convert. It's easy to find and it's cheap. It's easy to use and easy to clean up any mishaps. There's no inhalation of fumes and no danger of over-spray. Win/win!
    Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM

Elmer's washable glue is the best thing since the rotary cutter. I will only use this method from now on.
    Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 AM

I almost always use basting spray. And recently I have started the sandwich with the batting. I lay that flat - tape it down if the quilt is bigger than baby sized. Then I smooth the backing fabric onto the sprayed batting, making sure it is all totally flat and wrinkle free. I let that sit for a while, and hour or more, and then - usually with the help of a friend I turn the quilt over so the backing is now on the table. I spray the top of the batting and then carefully place the quilt top on it. This works so much better for me. When I would start with the backing on the table, no matter how much I ironed, taped, smoothed, etc, I wound up with a lot of wrinkles on the back.
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Washable glue for me....never any wrinkles or shifting fabric....washes out completely with no staining....easy to do and no gummy needles for fmq
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM
    Power Poster

I do it the old fashion way by going down to my LQS using the tables in the classroom with my quilt, large binder clips and safety pins. I just can't imagine using Elmer's glue on one of my Bargellos. SORRY!!!

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    Start in the center of the quilt with backing wrong side up and use binder clips to hold that to the table. Next is the batting which, when smoothed out, I clamp that down with the binder clips. Next the quilt top right side up and clamp that with the binder clips. I usually pin baste with pins about a hand-width apart in all directions.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 02-02-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM

I have asthma i spray baste i just do it outside