Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • best way to sandwhich and baste a quilt >
  • best way to sandwhich and baste a quilt

• best way to sandwhich and baste a quilt

Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Elmer's has come a long way. lol Years sss ago I would go to Walmart and buy the spray glue in the automotive department 3.98, large can, and that's what I used for years. When Elmer's came out with the spray, I switch. Elmer's is a finer spray that Holds, and it's better for quilting.
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 PM

I thought most people here used elmer's liquid school glue, not a spray.
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM

I tried Elmer's glue and didn't like that at all. I had a can of basting spray I bought years ago and never used so I tried it on a very small wall hanging. Loved that. So I used it again last weekend on a 50" square baby quilt. I have asthma so I took it outside to spray. Finished machine quilting it this week - it's perfect! Will definitely keep using the basting spray. It's way quicker than pinning, and the fabric doesn't move around while quilting. I ended up with zero wrinkles on the back and a beautifully smooth quilt!
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM

if I could take something outside to spray I might use it. It's about 2 degrees and nothing but snow and ice so that's not happening anytime soon.
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 PM
    Power Poster

You can go to YouTube and find a lot of videos about sandwiching and basting quilts. After looking at the different videos depending on your space and what you think would work for you, you will be able to decide. I personally like the way Katie Amelie bastes a large quilt on a small table. The way she sets the table up you can combine her clamping with pin basting or Sharon Schambert's baste stitch. It's whatever really works for you! I don't personally want to do anything on a floor with tape.
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 AM

For me the most important step is to lay the backing out (wrong side up), smooth it, and either clipor use masking or duck tape to secure this backing layerstretched tightly to the table. Then lay the batting on top of the backing and smooth it out well. This I do not tape or clip...just the backing gets secured. Last smooth the top on the stack and starting in the middle I use the curved safety pins and pin about every 4", smoothing the top as I go. When I begin quilting on my machine I switch to long straight pins as I go so that I don't get hung up on a safety pin. I don't like to wash my finished quilt for a show unless it really needs it for some reason as it seems to take out some of the crispness of new fabric. And, that's why I don't use the glue for basting. For gifts and donations that I do wash the glue is OK, but a little messy for me. That's just one of my personal little hangups and may change in time. I will watch the Sharon Schamber tutorial on this and see how she does it which may make a difference for my future method.
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 AM

I've been spray basting almost exclusively since I posted this tutorial; MUCH faster than thread basting, and the 505 Spray is working great for me using the same basic method.

Originally Posted by katier825
    I love this method using boards, but I spray baste, not thread baste. It really makes it much easier to handle when you don't have a large table to work on.

Here's a link to azwendyg's post. She covers her boards in flannel and it makes all the difference!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...mq-t91013.html
    Old 02-03-2014, 09:16 AM

I, too, have asthma. I spray baste either outside or in a large room on multiple tables. It was awful the first time I used the spray basting in my house. I probably oversprayed (too much and too wide a path). I tape or clip the backing to the table, spray half or 1/3 depending on size of table., place the batting on top, do the other half of the backing and batting. Then spray the batting and place the top on it, straightening it out.

I haven't tried Elmer's washable glue. If it's available as a spray, I'll sure try it.
    Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM

im going to have to look into this elmers glue thing!
    Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 AM

ive also noticed using june tailor spray baste that there are some battings that it just wont stick to. i have been taking the backing and taping it to the floor, then taping the batting down too. not solid, just a tiny piece here and there to hold it while it is stretched taut, and i use painters tape so it won't ruin fabric or my flooring. then after i get the top on and smoothed out i pin pin pin. seems to work well!