• Main
  • Best way to wash FQ >
  • Best way to wash FQ

• Best way to wash FQ

Old 04-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks so much for the help everyone had great ideas
    Old 04-06-2010, 01:12 PM
    Google Goddess

I was at a quilting event last month and an owner of local LQS said to snip all 4 corners so they don't fray when you pre wash fabric.

Happy Quilting!
    Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM

I know I'm new here and all, but what the heck is a color catcher??
    Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 AM

okay...my 2¢ worth...
    If a few small pieces like FQ, I wash my new fabrics with my regular clothes, soap and water, etc. and will use a lingerie bag sometimes. If I have any red FQ, then I wash with other reds or the like (DUH!) If it's a larger piece of fabric (yard or more), I snip the raw edges, a mere 1/8 to 1/4 inch, every 4-8 inches, so that if it was cut unevenly, it wont unravel all over my machine and tie the material into knots. Any excess threads get caught in the dryer filter. I've had the knots happen even with good quilt shop fabric, so it's not just with "cheap material". When ironing I do NOT use starch but use a Fabric Finish so it becomes "firm" again. Have not had any problems or surprises in all my years of quilting, so I guess I'm doing something right.

If you're getting a hole in the fabric, you might have a problem with your washing machine like something under the agitator is catching it??? or it's just cheap fabric (most of Joann's is from China now!!!!). It is 100% cotton, right? I've had holes develop in rayon and rayon-blends.

Good luck.
    Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 AM

OK, I don't wash fat quarters. I wash backing, sashing and borders, but not the fat quarters. Have been quilting since 1997 and have never, ever had a problem. Just went to JoAnn's yesterday and our new store had in a whole new supply of fats and I ended up buying 36 of them. I like to make Samplers and they are perfect for that. I just take the packages apart, refold and iron. I trade fabrics with family and friends and get bits and pieces for my quilts and never wash those either.

I so enjoy reading these confabs. I do learn so much here. I have a neighbor friend who is just starting out (I am helping her) and guided her to the Quilting Board and told her that if ever she needs any info, this is the place to go to!

I think the sun is supposed to come out today. Getting an estimate on how much the ceiling and wallpaper are going to cost today (ice dam-age!) and have to take the car down to find out what is making it clunk - probably something loose from the potholes! Have a good day! Edie
    Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 AM
    Power Poster

if you use pinking shears and trim the edges they will not fray either, especially helpful when washing yardage...
    Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 AM

for the fraying -- clip just a little triangle off the cut corners...
    Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 AM

I like to serge the cut edges of all my fabric befor washing even my fat quarters.
    Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 AM

I was at my favorite fabric store yesterday and started talking to someone about a serger - she told me she serges all the fabric she brings home before she washes it - that way it doesn't fray.
    Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    I was at a quilting event last month and an owner of local LQS said to snip all 4 corners so they don't fray when you pre wash fabric.

Happy Quilting!
    This is what I did with the last quilt fat quarter quilt I made. I snipped all four corners, used warm water in my washing machine and put in a color catcher sheet and only a little detergent, used my extra rinse cycle and dried in dryer (do not overdry). I had very little fraying of the fabric. Then I sprayed them with Best Press and ironed them. Best Press puts the stiffness back in the fabric, is the best thing for pressing.