Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beware >
  • Beware

• Beware

Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches
    Sometimes the pattern is even in a book that needs to be purchased.
    In the case of a pattern in a book, it would be copyright infringement if the pattern was sold separately in the kit, so I wouldn't expect it. They sell the fabric kit as a convenience to those who want to make the quilt exactly like the one shown in the book.

I don't use kits because I have a good stash and like to choose my own fabrics. Don't usually use patterns either. But I know several women who just want to sew and don't have the time or inclination to pick fabrics, neither is money a problem for them. They love kits!

How nice that the shop in question was willing to send out a free pattern just because of the misunderstanding and because the OP was upset. That's great customer service!
    Old 04-01-2015, 06:48 AM

All the kits I have bought had the patterns included.
    Old 04-01-2015, 06:58 AM

I had something similar happen with fat quarters. Again made at the store, open them up and half of them have large white salvages that have not been cut away. They would not take a return even with a receipt?!?!?
    Old 04-01-2015, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty
    I think that is just ridiculous that kits don't always include the pattern. It's not a "kit," if it's not complete, IMHO. I think that is a practice that needs to change.
    IMHO- Using the word "kit" implies it contains everything, and "a selection of fabrics to make X pattern" is what you are buying without the pattern, and should be labelled that way. If I bought a model car kit, I would expect the instructions to be included, or I would return it to the store. Selling something called a "kit" without the instructions/pattern, is dishonest. Calling it a "fabric pack" for a certain pattern is honest.
    Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by briskgo
    I had something similar happen with fat quarters. Again made at the store, open them up and half of them have large white salvages that have not been cut away. They would not take a return even with a receipt?!?!?
    I would want the selvedges, myself, so I could identify the fabrics. I might want to order matching yardage for the back or buy more from that line somewhere.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM
    Power Poster

I have always checked to make sure the pattern came with the kit. If not then to me it isn't a kit. Kits aren't cheap. No pattern no buy!
    Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 AM

I think kits should always contain a pattern. However if the customer is purchasing multiple kits or already has the pattern, then the store should offer a discount on the kit or an alternate pattern. If it is a collection of fabric for a particular quilt, then it should be labelled clearly that the pattern is NOT INCLUDED and called a collection.

As customers we need to beware of what we are buying and for any businesses, please listen to your customers.

I am pleased that the LQS resolved the problem AND gave you service at an expense to them. If I lived closer, I would be shopping there because of your positive experience.
    Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 PM

I just bought a quilt calendar and I thought it would have patterns. Not one. It was a separate book that must be purchased. I was disappointed.
    Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 PM
    Power Poster

I have bought both types of kits. The kind with and without the pattern. So, I am used to asking the question to know if it is in there. I think the reason I enjoy the kitted fabrics with the patterns is, I live up out of town and it isn't always easy to find the great fabrics to make it special. Running from store to store to find fabrics isn't always productive either.

I have a couple self made "kits" I have started that need some fill in fabrics I need to find before I can make them. I have changed out fabrics in some ready made ones before too, like you girls. But, for the most part, I open the kits and check the contents for the correct sizes and fabrics right away. I don't like surprises in the middle of a snow storm. Or, to wait until the fabric is sold out and unavailable.

So, you are right. Don't assume anything when shopping for kits. I am happy the shop owner is gracious enough to share with you the pattern. Not all shop owners are that nice.
    Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Bought only one kit and visited with the author/shop. Owner and knew what I was getting. But...I appreciate the advice for in the future I might buy one off the shelf and would have assumed the pattern would be included.