Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bias width size for 1/4 - 3/8 size bias? >
  • Bias width size for 1/4 - 3/8 size bias?

• Bias width size for 1/4 - 3/8 size bias?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Lightbulb Bias width size for 1/4 - 3/8 size bias?

How wide should I cut the strips on the bias in order to end up with bias strips 1/4 - 3/8" wide? I'm starting an applicque Celtic Knot quilt for daughter-in-law.
    Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 AM

You would multiply times 4 to take into consideration the folding process. So for a 1/4 wide bias, you would cut a 1" wide strip.....the 3/8" would be 1-1/2" strip. Test cut one and see if that's the size you want before cutting all the length you need.
    Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Are you are making bias TAPE (not bias BINDING)? Then it will depend upon what method you are using to make it.

I use Clover's bias tape makers and cut my strips two (2) times the width of the finished bias tape. So, for 1/4", cut it 1/2" wide and for 3/8", cut it 3/4" wide.

If you are using some other tool, then check the directions that came with it.
    Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM
    Power Poster

I would consider buying the 1/4 inch bias tape all ready done from my local quilt shop. I know they made it for doing stain glass applique a few years ago. If you can't find the colours you want then you could make it. On 1/4 inch wide bias, I would try a sample at 1/2 inch wide. That would give you a 1/8 fold under on both sides. You don't want the fold unders to peek out from the 1/4 inch covering strip.
    With narrow bias strips, I like to put the raw edges together and stitch down the 1/4 inch width onto the pencil line on the background square. I then push the 1/4 inch bias strip over the stitching line and hand stitch the remaining side down. This may not work for your design but try a sample and see. I would add no more than 1/4 inch to each side of the 3/8 strip for fold unders (3/8 plus 1/2) or less.
    Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM

I use the fusible 1/4" black bias tape for stained glass banners. You just iron in place then stitch. It's fast and easy. Clovers and Dritz iron on fuusible 1/4" bias tape can be purchased at JoAnn's and use a coupon. I think both of the brands have 11 yards on the roll. Check the internet for best pricing.