Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Big block jelly log pattern >
  • Big block jelly log pattern

• Big block jelly log pattern

Old 11-02-2015, 01:14 PM

Default Big block jelly log pattern

I recently finished piecing a quilt top using the light to dark option of the Big Block Jelly Log pattern. It was so easy to piece since the entire jelly roll was sewn together, end to end. This quilt top made up beautifully. The problem I am not sure how to resolve is squaring this quilt top. The entire quilt top is the block. I have pinned this quilt top to carpet, moistened it, tugged and pulled, washed and dried i.) My measurements vary as much as 3 3/4" from one side to the other. Any suggestions?? Could it be the way the pattern comes together? I am terribly frustrated and would appreciate any and all suggestions, hints, recommendations, directions, etc. Thank you!
    Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 PM
    Power Poster

The pattern does state in the skills required: "All straight seams and straight edges; decent 1/4" seam accuracy with attention to not stretching strips." Unless the jelly roll was cut incorrectly, I'm guessing your seams may not have been consistent. I would take a look at the seam on the narrower side of the top and see if they are wider than the other side. If so, you may be able to unsew and re sew them. You can also try taking off several rounds and see if you can square the center then re attach them. As you mention, you really can't trim this into square.
    You are not alone with this. Even normal sized log cabin blocks can get wonky. You need to square those as you go and it helps to measure and cut each log as you attach rather than sewing the strip then cutting the excess.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-02-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    Old 11-03-2015, 06:54 AM
    Power Poster

Paperprincess is correct. Like in any piecing, you have to keep checking your measurements and accuracy of your seams. As long as the quilt will lay flat, I wouldn't worry about it not being square. Just go ahead and quilt it and bind it.
    Old 11-04-2015, 06:15 AM

I always try to err on the side of caution and square up as I go along. If I don't do this I end up with a problem at the end.
    Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
    Power Poster

I've found log cabins to be the most challenging blocks I've made, to date. They seem so easy but are very hard to keep square!
    Old 11-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Okay, quilt police, read no further! I am a lazy quilter. I hate to unsew. I would use a wide piano key border, and then square it up after the border is on. The piano keys make it hard to see the inequity, and anybody who notices after it is finished is just too picky.
    Old 11-04-2015, 01:31 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
    Okay, quilt police, read no further! I am a lazy quilter. I hate to unsew. I would use a wide piano key border, and then square it up after the border is on. The piano keys make it hard to see the inequity, and anybody who notices after it is finished is just too picky.
    Funny, that is what I just thought and was about to suggest.
    Old 11-04-2015, 03:20 PM

I learned on my 221 Featherweight that when I started sewing on it, I put the seam allowance at 1/4 inch mark. This machine has really helped me so much I cannot tell you. I love everything about my new (old) machine. For straight stitches this is the one I use and I very rarely have any problems. For my fancier stitches, I use my brother machine.
    Good luck with your Big block jelly log pattern.
    Old 11-04-2015, 03:55 PM

Fifty five mile per hour test.
    Hang the quilt top on the line outside. Drive by your house at 55mph. If you can't see the error, there isn't one.
    If you can see the error, drive faster.

tim in san jose
    Old 11-04-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    The pattern does state in the skills required: "All straight seams and straight edges; decent 1/4" seam accuracy with attention to not stretching strips." Unless the jelly roll was cut incorrectly, I'm guessing your seams may not have been consistent. I would take a look at the seam on the narrower side of the top and see if they are wider than the other side. If so, you may be able to unsew and re sew them. You can also try taking off several rounds and see if you can square the center then re attach them. As you mention, you really can't trim this into square.
    You are not alone with this. Even normal sized log cabin blocks can get wonky. You need to square those as you go and it helps to measure and cut each log as you attach rather than sewing the strip then cutting the excess.
    Thank you. I looked back and did find some inaccurate seams, unfortunately. That's what I get for trying to hurry.