Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics >
  • Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

• Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Old 08-21-2017, 01:29 PM

I didn't really understand what "quilt quality" meant when I first started quilting (not quite two years ago). I happened upon an online site (Fat Quarter Shop) and liked their 5X10 cuts, made exclusively for them by Moda (the brand name meaning nothing to me at the time). As soon as I opened my Moda pre-cuts, I recognized "quilt-quality." I've come to know not just Moda, but Hoffman, Kaufman, etc. and I know I can depend on these manufacturers to deliver beautiful, high quality material, no matter the place from which I order them (I like Jordan Fabrics, Fabric.com, but, yes, even Amazon). I can only afford these fabrics, however, when they are on sale. My closest actual quilt shop is absolutely way too expensive for my budget. This leads me to discuss fabric from Joann's -my closest "big box" store. So much of their fabric is just terrible -and barely affordable, at that, since the only thing I see about fabric prices is that they go up and up. For awhile, I just refused to buy any fabric there. However, while at Joann's one day to buy a ruler or something, I meandered through their "quilt quality" section. I didn't recognize any of the brands, but I did actually find some fabric that looked good and "felt" like quality. Frankly, these fabrics were not cheap -some as much as $14.00 per yard. The thing about Joann's, though, is there is ALWAYS a sale or discount of some kind on fabric. So, I still prefer my "known-quality" fabrics from trusted online stores, but if I see something at Joann's that I like and appears to be quality fabric, I will buy it. Case in point, I just purchased fabric to make a single Irish chain quilt, and I found the fabric at Joann's. I've already cut my squares, and I know it will work up beautifully, but I cannot tell you the name of the manufacturer because I had never heard of it. The benefit of going to Joann's is that I can actually see the different fabrics I might buy to put into a quilt; ordering known-quality online will guarantee quality, but I can't actually see if the fabrics I'm ordering are going to work together. As far as quilt shops go, I truly wish I could support them, but alas, I just can't afford them. Ultimately, assuming you know quality fabric when you see it, go with what you like and can afford; it just doesn't matter where it came from.
    Old 08-21-2017, 02:12 PM

I agree with mountainwoman! You use what you can afford. I've gotten fabric online from Marshall's and found it to be very good fabric, and the quickness of delivery cannot be beaten. My budget is tight, as I am sure many are experiencing. That's just the way life is. But, I buy the best I can afford.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-23-2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: remove political statement
    Old 08-21-2017, 02:40 PM

I prefer quilt shop because I can feel it and see the exact color. Sometimes I order on line if I just need a variety of something like blues or neutrals. I am fortunate that I have a stash of fabric and often make scrappy quilts so I can indulge myself by just buying a couple fat quarters. I really dislike scratchy fabric but I guess if you were making a wall hanging it wouldn't matter.
    Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM
    Banned

I use fabric from quilt shops, thrift stores/yard sales, Walmart, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby as well as buying online.(Actually, I love Hobby Lobby fabric) I buy what I like if the price is right and the quality is good. That being said, one of the very first quilts I ever made(before I knew anything about quality fabrics) was a baby drag around quilt for my niece. I bought most of the fabrics from Walmarts $1.00yd bin and after 9 years you'd think it would be falling apart but no, it still looks good after being washed a bazillion times.

Cari
    Old 08-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Love the JoAnn's coupons but not their fabrics. I have purchased some batiks there and some white on whites. I haven't previewed the new lines either. But oh it would be wonderful if they are like LQS fabrics. Better weaves, softer and no heavy inked prints.
    Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    In the 90s when I worked at JoAnn's (back in the days when they had decent quilting cottons), WalMart had the exact print in several fabrics as JoAnn's. On closer inspection, they were off color and flimsier fabric. Misprints?? Samples that weren't accepted?? Who knows, but they weren't the same. We will have to touch the fabrics to know. If in doubt, buy a small amount and launder it.
    I mostly buy fabrics from Walmart and Hobby Lobby. I have never found the above statement to be true. The quilting cottons at both stores are top quality without the hefty price.
    Old 08-21-2017, 05:09 PM

My opinion is that big box vs LQS is not a big issue. I shop both; have gotten good fabrics from both, and bad fabrics from both. LQS may or may not be more helpful to customers, and usually has some area of expertise that a big box can't match. Many LQS have some of the same fabrics as the big box stores; in that case, the price is a determining factor.

In the end, though, budget is always a consideration. Some of us have bigger budgets than others. So, with that in mind, buy the best fabrics that you, personally, can afford. And enjoy the hobby.
    Old 08-21-2017, 05:13 PM

Ditto on that. I do many charity quilts for kids and use fabrics from just about any place that sells them. cost is a factor, but have not been disappointed with any fabric I chose.

I think that the key thing is to feel a fabric before buying, no matter where we find them.
    Old 08-21-2017, 05:16 PM

The best I can afford - my motto, too!
    Old 08-21-2017, 05:22 PM

I was at Walmart today and picked out some interfacing. While I waited for someone to come and cut it for me, I saw a beautiful blush colored cotton by Waverly. It was $2.97 a yard. I figured I could wash it and give it a try. It felt nice and I was just drawn to the color. Will see how it goes.
    Maybe because color is so important to me, I do usually buy locally. My iPad is not always reliable in that way. I like to feel it, too. But I do buy online at times.