Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Big Squares for Small Quilt? >
  • Big Squares for Small Quilt?

• Big Squares for Small Quilt?

Old 09-24-2019, 04:54 AM

I can't wait to see how you decide to put it together. So many ideas already.
    Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 AM

Moira, to my eye, that collection doesn't go together. Maybe it's just the lighting or my screen, but I see two different quilts because of the colorways--a purple one and a turquoise one. (Normally I love these colors together, but the fabrics you have are busy.) The white print would work better, IMO, with the turquoise, but better as a backing.

If it were me wanting to do a quick and easy donation quilt, I would choose one of the colorways and find a solid or tonal. For the turquoise, a coral blender. For the purple, white. I'd make a strip quilt with alternating squares, like so:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2313117...t-baby-blanket

Ideally you could make two of the same if you cut them simulataneosly and have enough fabric.
    Old 09-24-2019, 05:48 AM

You can use any size square you want - it is your quilt, your choice! Especially if it is a bigger pattern, you may not want to cut it up in small squares. A suggestion for fat quarters - being 18 x 22, how about 9 x 11. It would be easy on the eyes because it is a size we are used to (being about the size of notebook paper) and would give you 10 pieces. This is a nice number to either use as is or to sash. Please be sure to post whatever you decide to make.
    Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM

Thank you everyone - your input is really appreciated.

I like the suggestions you’ve made - so I still don’t know what I’m going to do with this fabric. It might have to sit on a shelf for while until I decided on its fate.

I think part of the problem is I bought some gorgeous Christmas fabrics this week and my fingers are just itching to play with that - I’m sure you understand my predicament!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-25-2019 at 02:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 09-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    I am enjoying the Simplish pattern for largish sized prints,

Oksewglad shared some donation quilts and I instantly saw potential for using some of my larger prints. Here's the picture that inspired me:
    2019 Fabric Moratorium

Here's a link to the project and youtube:
    https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Assets...orDownload.pdf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K76_K7ZcvI

I'm finishing up one based on this for donation now, have one last segment of handbinding I'll finish off at small group tomorrow. Has jungle cat prints and jungle plants with animal print sashing and flannel back. Here's an in-progress shot before the final borders were on. Hubby is gone with the camera today so no pictures today.
    Wow - that is a beautiful quilt!
    Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM

I actually made a couple of very simple quilts where I used large blocks in order to feature the main fabric's print. Each finished square measured 8 inches so the quilts were very quick and easy to make (less than 1 day of cutting and piecing). Just another idea. . . .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617765[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]617766[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dscn4988a.jpg   dscn5085a.jpg  
    Old 09-24-2019, 04:23 PM
    Power Poster

look at BQ patterns at mapleislandsquilts.com too. large squares with two strips i think on sides.
    Old 09-25-2019, 04:08 AM

I did something similar for a twin quilt that my guild was requesting for intellectually-disabled adults. They live in a nursing home and have the mental maturity of preschoolers. The nursing home asked for cartoon characters.

I cut the Tweety Bird fabric in large blocks. It looked rather plain when I was finished so I raw-edge appliqued a large Tweety Bird near the top to add interest. Maybe you could do the same with the mermaid sillouettes on your fabric.
    Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   5.jpg  

Last edited by JENNR8R; 09-25-2019 at 04:11 AM.
    Old 09-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    I did something similar for a twin quilt that my guild was requesting for intellectually-disabled adults. They live in a nursing home and have the mental maturity of preschoolers. The nursing home asked for cartoon characters.

I cut the Tweety Bird fabric in large blocks. It looked rather plain when I was finished so I raw-edge appliqued a large Tweety Bird near the top to add interest. Maybe you could do the same with the mermaid sillouettes on your fabric.

Love your quilt - I’m getting some many great ideas here.
    Old 09-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Just saw thru Pinterest a post of ideas called "five fat quarter fun" from Jedi craft girl. (Sorry no link because I'm on my phone and it was thru Pinterest.) Do search and see if there is anything there that makes your skirt fly up.