Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Big stitch hand quilting >
  • Big stitch hand quilting

• Big stitch hand quilting

Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    The way I understand BiG Stitch is to use emboidery floss and make larger stitches but they have to be perfectly even. It gives a primitive kind of look. I beleive it is more decorative than meant to hold the layers together.
    But it's intention, regardless, is to hold the sandwich together. Just another way to do it.
    Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
    Power Poster

Have made several quilts using this technique but mainly baby quilts. One of the galls from our quilt group calls it "cave man quilting". It is a nice relaxing job to do while watching TV. Really do like the looks of it.
    Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM

So, if I use this type of quilting, can I still wash the quilt as usual and it will hold together?
    Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Yes it just a different style of quilting. The "big" stitches really aren't that big-about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. They still give you the quilted look and hold everything together. I've done sevral quilts this way. My grandmother made quilts this way years ago using crochet thread. My sister still has the one that GM made for her. It's still fine after 50+ years.
    Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM

lady in my group did this as a whole cloth quilt. It was stunning.
    Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM

I have done it on a few quilts and really like the look. Years ago I did regular hand quilting, but after having hand surgery 10 years ago, I can't really do the fine hand quilting/sewing anymore so when I do feel like quilting by hand, it is utility stitch quilting for me. It isn't hard to do, goes a lot faster than traditional quilting. I use the pearl cotton and a chenille needle to do the stitch.
    Old 05-25-2012, 06:55 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sashiko quilting is very similar to "big stitch quilting". Sashiko uses a white thread - reminds me of what we used to use for candlewicking, sort of like a crochet thread #10 wt. - and the quilting designs are rather organic, specific to Japanese fabrics and symbolisms.

In the nineties, my shop often taught classes on "big stitch quilting" and found many used it in quilts made of Civil War reproduction fabrics, among other things. It became very popular. The designs we used were just like any other regular quilting design -- feathers, waves, grids, flowers, outline, etc.

I now usually use only the big stitch method because I have enough nerve damage in my hands to make feeling the needle a bit of a problem. With big stitch I can use a larger, easier to hold needle and thicker threads.

I've quilted with crochet #10, perle cotton balls, and Sulky cotton 12 wt. I prefer the thread to compliment/contrast the fabrics and cause the quilting patterns to add to the texture and patterns of the fabrics, to be very noticeable rather than somewhat hidden in the quilt.

My needle preference is Richard Hemmings large-eyed betweens in the 3-9 size packets. I use the larger needles in the packet.

The thread allows 5-7 stitches to an inch rather than aiming for the master standard of 10-12 stitches. As always, consistency of stitch is more important than stitch length.

Wish I had good pictures of the quilts I've done, including one that was a commission for a lady who had done beautiful candlewicked blocks several decades ago. She was thrilled with the look of it.

Jan in VA
    Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer
    Thanks for the tips. I have thought about this technique for a flannel quilt I am working on. Now I know what to do. Those web sites are great!
    I tried hand quilting on flannel and finally gave up and machine quilted (it was a small lap quilt).
    Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 AM

Love the tute! Very detailed!
    Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 AM

I'm seeing more and more of this on modern quilts too. i love how it adds color and contrast and is also obviously done by hand which is a major plus.