Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding and a great solution >
  • Binding and a great solution

• Binding and a great solution

Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 AM

I want to thank farmquilter for the great link! I've had this foot since I got my machine MANY years ago and had no idea what it was used for. HA! I'll be using it now ��
    Old 12-29-2016, 08:27 AM
    Power Poster

Something interesting I have discovered. The quilts that I have made that are used a lot, the binding is getting worn, almost bare in spots. Most I used double fold bias and full of batting to the edges. The quilts I made for fun, and they get heavy use with lots of washing, have fast bindings, with batting not to the edges, not batting full, are still fine. No wear at all. I think the full binding edge is a bunch of hoak, for quilt judges only.
    Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by laurelkal
    I want to thank farmquilter for the great link! I've had this foot since I got my machine MANY years ago and had no idea what it was used for. HA! I'll be using it now ��
    Same here about having the foot and not using it, will put it to good use from now on. I will be reading her information on other feet.
    Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 AM
    Power Poster

Year ago, I bought a VCR tape showing how to use very sewing foot available. It was made by Clotilde, remember her anyone? Best instructional video I ever watched about machine feet. I learned to use the twin needle with only one needle threaded for echo stitching, straight edge stitching, and even SITD.
    Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Thank you for a terrific suggestion. I learn something new each year and I've been quilting for close to thirty years. Now if they would just stop creating all that new gorgeous fabric.
    Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I think the full binding edge is a bunch of hoak, for quilt judges only.
    My great aunt told me this very same thing when she saw local quilt judges count off for not having full bindings. She said they don't know squat about what they are saying. She never filled her bindings full. She won Viewer's Choice so many times at the local shows it made the local quilt police mad as heck!!! Her quilts were not made for show judges. LOL

Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 AM

SID foot (Stitch in the Ditch) has a blade in the center of the foot that extends down and beyond the tip of the foot. When you stitch, that blade falls into the "ditch" of a seam or a line you want to follow. It allows you to stitch straight without going left or right of that seam or line.
    Old 12-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Year ago, I bought a VCR tape showing how to use very sewing foot available. It was made by Clotilde, remember her anyone? Best instructional video I ever watched about machine feet. I learned to use the twin needle with only one needle threaded for echo stitching, straight edge stitching, and even SITD.
    I remember Clotilde but was not sewing that much way back then. Hope you still have the tape because now they create a new foot to go with a video to sell the 'new' invention.
    Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM
    Power Poster

I remember Clotilde but was not sewing that much way back then. Hope you still have the tape because now they create a new foot to go with a video to sell the 'new' invention.
    Probably do have it somewhere but no vcr to play it on. LOL
    Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Stitch in the Ditch SID.....I have a Designer SE but the foot I used was a Janome. Fits perfect since both are low shank machines. Janome foot is so much cheaper too!