Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding method and facing >
  • Binding method and facing

• Binding method and facing

Old 07-08-2024, 08:56 AM

Default Binding method and facing

Okay I have my 3d quilt ready to bind. the long arm lady told me I should use the Susie's Magic Binding where I can sew two different binding together one that is 1 1/2 inch outer and 1 3/4 inner and it might make it easier for me to bind then I saw a youtube video on facing like using bias tape . the bias tape has many folds and the why it attached seems easier.
    can a person make use of this method. I know both methods you start on the front and fold to the back but I am machine binding.
    Old 07-08-2024, 11:28 AM

I have done this and it looks nice. The technique you're describing is called "flanged binding" and it looks like the quilt has a flange or piping when finished. The flange size can be made skinnier or wider. I sew it to the back first, then wrap it around to the front and stitch right where the flange meets the binding.
    Attached Thumbnails flange-binding.png  
    Old 07-08-2024, 11:48 AM
    Power Poster

Flange binding can give such a nice finishing touch to a quilt, with that sliver of colour showing at the edge.

I do the same as Peckish .... except .... I hand stitch it on the front.

My reason for that is that with washings, I found that the narrow flange would shift around, so that it may lay flat or stick out or roll over onto the other part of the binding. For me, this keeps the narrow stripe of colour showing nice and even.

Sorry, I can't refer you to a video to see more, but I am sure someone will have a video link. Or perhaps Peckish's photo gives you what you need to see?
    Old 07-08-2024, 12:35 PM
    mkc

Sounds like Charismah's tutorial from years back - she posted it here on QB in the Tutorials section:

Quick Machine Binding with Flange
    Old 07-08-2024, 04:00 PM

Just did my latest quilt with flange binding. Attach to back, wrap around to front and machine stitch "in-the-ditch". Lots of good tutorials on YT. Search "quilting flange binding".
    Old 07-08-2024, 04:20 PM

On the other hand, facing is usually attached first on the front, then folded over to the back. This is my previous quilt where I used facing. Hand stiched on the back after folding over.
    Attached Thumbnails img_20240417_145316092-1-.jpg   img_20240519_164154963.jpg   img_20240520_075636113.jpg  
    Old 07-09-2024, 09:18 AM

Okay I am going to try the flange method, when I get it done I will post some pictures if it's good.
    Old 07-09-2024, 10:19 AM
    Power Poster

I cheat. I sew a narrow last border the color I want the flange to be. Then I sew a regular binding (wider if needed for the fold over) of the second color to the back. I fold the binding over in to however wide I want the flange color. Looks better to me and much easier.
    Old 07-09-2024, 12:34 PM

I'm going with the cheat that Onebyone does. Sounds like an easier way to do it and it will still turn out looking good. Thank you for sharing your method.
    Old 07-10-2024, 11:14 AM

boy., i have three different measurements doing this. First says1" for front, 2" for back.
    Second one says Flange 1 3/4" for inside fold and 1 1/2" for front.
    Third says (McCalls) binding 1 1/4" color and for flange 1 1/2".
    sew, press seam toward binding color. fold after pressing. place faux side down on backing and sew and flip to front. then finish.
    so what ever way you work it, test first before sewing on....
    have fun and good luck. I only did this once and it's been long ago.