Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • binding question >
  • binding question

• binding question

Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 AM

I did my Downy quilt that way. I cut the back about two inches larger than the top and then just folded it twice to make a binding.
    Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Our guild does all of our community quilts this way. We cut the backing about 1 1/4" larger all around after it has been quilted. Fold it in half once and then fold again down to your stitching line and top stitch neatly. Use a decorative stitch if you wish. You can even mitre the corners with this method. This was the method that my now almost 90 year old mother-in-law taught me as it was the only way she knew how to bind quilts, so it has been used for a long time. It seems to wear well and this width of binding makes it hard to tell that you haven't used a separate binding. It is also much faster to complete and no one but a quilter would even notice.
    Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Love the pink quilt. The colors are beautiful and I always bind from the back to the front. That is the way the quilting teacher taught us.
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:52 PM

The method used where the backing is brought to the front is called self-binding. Penny Halgren gives an explanation with illustrations at this site. http://how-to-quilt.com/cms/index.ph...=143&Itemid=39

It shows how to do the corners to give a mitered look.
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM

I never have. I know that the stitches on the underside of my quilt would be crooked and unsatisfactory ... so I always secure binding by hand. I once wrapped the quilt backing around the front edge of a quilt so binding and back were one piece of fabric, but even then I sewed it by hand.
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM

It depends on the wear the quilt will have. The binding is the place where it needs to be durable. Sometimes when you pull the binding over instead of a reg binding it will wear out.
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:09 PM
    Banned

You say you havn't perfected the corners on your binding.
    Go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe scroll down and you will see the video I did on binding.
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 PM

[quote=PatriceJ]the only time i don't bring the backing fabric to the front as binding is if it wouldn't also look good as a traditional binding.

i make sure to fold it double before bringing it to the front, just as i would traditional binding.[/quote

I always do it this way, partially because it is fast and partially because I hate hand stitching!!! Whenever I enter one of my quilts to be judged, I know that they will count me down for it. But I don't care. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch & sometimes just a straight stitch. I think it looks fine.
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
    Banned

I have on the doll quilt. but I am trying to teach my self to quilt, so I struggled to get the miter corner. but I just watched a how to on binding, and I was not doing it right. God bless. penny
    Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 AM

That is how I have binded all my quilts, but I also like the idea of bringing the front to the back... I love that pink baby quilt. I am waiting a few more weeks to find out what my second grandbaby will be, then off to make another quilt for a baby.