Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding... >
  • Binding...

• Binding...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    Are you hand sewing or machine sewing it? I would hand sew it down and call it a day.

Most of the time now I use 2-1/2" binding. I sew about 3/8" seam and hand sew to the back. It's pretty close to being the same on both sides. If you are worried about losing part of the design, you can always leave a little bit of batting beyond the edge of the quilt to take up that extra space. I haven't been all that satisfied with machine stitched binding unless I take the time to glue baste it down. I prefer the look of the hand sewing, so most of the time that is what I do.
    I was using 2-1/2" binding and finishing it on the back by hand, which definitely looks the best. The other day a lady said that 2-1/4", I assume using the usual 1/4" seam, ends up the same width both front and back, and she can use a decorative machine stitch to end it (no hand work). It looked great when she did it, so I will try with my next project.
    Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Thanks Peggi, I think I have done that one before but never had a name for it. I rarely hand sew binding now as the neuropathy in my hands too bad. I do hand sew on a label on the back, so may do this stitch for it.
    Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I also cut my binding at 2" wide most of the time. Some times I cut the excess batting a little bit beyond the edge of the quilt when trimming it and let the extra roll into the binding to make it fuller. You can also take a deeper seam allowance to take up the extra binding width. I don't mind the binding being wider on the back side either.

The rhythm of hand sewing binding is so peaceful and usually the last time I get to pet the fabric and reflect on the quilt before it is gifted. It is another ritual that I love about quilting.
    peace
    I also have gone to 2" and I LOVE doing the hand work on the binding. If it's something I've enjoyed, it makes me a little sad that I know my last stitch of the binding is really the LAST.
    Old 09-01-2015, 05:51 PM

I cut my strips 2 3/4". Sew a little wider on the top and have plenty of fabric to cover my stitch line.
    I hand stitch my bindings and I found that the first time I sewed a binding on (cut 2 1/4"), I struggled to cover the stitch line and also felt that it made the binding curve towards the back of the quilt. With the wider strip, it avoids the pulling towards the back. It works for me.