Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding too wide--Need input >
  • Binding too wide--Need input

• Binding too wide--Need input

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I'd just increase the seam allowance as has been suggested already. No unsewing, no stretching that bias binding unnecessarily, no hassles, just a little math to figure out how much further in you need to go.
    Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Have you tried folding the folded edge to the seam line and then folding over to the back? It will just make a thicker binding.
    Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I'd just increase the seam allowance as has been suggested already. No unsewing, no stretching that bias binding unnecessarily, no hassles, just a little math to figure out how much further in you need to go.
    In this case, I wouldn't increase the seam width ... the pattern on the front is expecting a 1/4" seam allowance and you would lose it. IMHO, it'd be better to accept the wider binding on the back ... it would make a nice mini-border on the back.

Or if not happy with the wide back binding, then remove the binding and cut it to size.
    Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
    Have you tried folding the folded edge to the seam line and then folding over to the back? It will just make a thicker binding.
    I would fold (press) the extra amount under. I love the striped bias binding! Very cute!
    Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 AM

IF it were ME doing it, I would take it off cut it narrower and take this oppritunity to miter the corners on the FRONT so when I turned it over I wouldn't have any trouble mitering those either! If you need help with mitering corners message me I could always help ya via video chat on yahoo or something!

Good Luck!
    Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 AM
    Banned

The binding an be wider on the back than the front. The only important thing is that the width is even on the front as well as the back. I see many quilts in shows in the NE area in which the back of the binding is about twice the width on the back as the front. Just be consistent and even and if you are stitching by hand on the back make sure the stitches don't dome thru to the front.
    Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    The binding an be wider on the back than the front. The only important thing is that the width is even on the front as well as the back. I see many quilts in shows in the NE area in which the back of the binding is about twice the width on the back as the front. Just be consistent and even and if you are stitching by hand on the back make sure the stitches don't dome thru to the front.
    Yes, I've had a few turn out this way and it's fine, really!!!! No quilt police are going to throw you in jail for it.
    Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Hi, make your binging 2 1/2" wide and fold together with wst and press in half (use some spray starch will help make a good folded edge for you. Sew to the front starting from the middle of 1 side leaving a 4" piece of the strip loose, (not sewn). Then start stitching all around the blanket until you come to a your first corner, then stopping 1/4" to the corner edge (measure the 1/4" & place a pin), now bringing strip straight up and over the top edge you just stitched so you have the strip parallel with the next side seam where you will start sewing the next side, line up the raw edges where you will bring this strip down to line up with the next edge, you will have some excess at the corner and this is used to create the mitering. Don't worry about this excess let it be, NOW! you will start your stitching where the 2 edges meet 1/4" from the edge again, this can be a bit tricky but make sure you have your 1/4" in from the edge of the blanket you will feel like you are stitching over the same stitching from the first turned corner ( *** you stopped the first time at exactly 1/4" from your first corner so you also need to start your second side 1/4" in from the new raw edge so these two edges will meet.) just make sure you have the strip & second edge lined up and when you do you will start stitching this second side. (Make a sample to practice on is really a yes!! I can booster!!).
    After you get to almost the end where you started, sew up to the un stitched 4 inches about 2" after you cut off the excess on a slant, to do this take the folded edge in your left hand, now fold the raw edge under so you get a point at the folded edge the fold is on the left side, now when your other strip your stitching comes to that same side, do the fold on this strip and working with the opposite side and strip in your right hand and fold under raw edge so you have the fold on the right side. I usually cut off these two folded under edges off, but first bring the 2 pointy edges together with the two edges meeting and put the one you just did inside the first folded and pull them up so you have an angle meeting in the center then cut off the folded edges and stitch on this angle by hand or machine, I usually sew by hand and do a blind stitch. Now the mitering comes last. If you gently take the excess back over the edge of the blanket front corner and working into a miter looking fold on the front of the blanket it will form a miter like magic on the front, now fold the rest of the corner to the back of the blanket into a miter on the back, it goes together rather easy then hand stitch in place.
    I hope this in understandable. Just do this very slowly to work through it and then it starts to make sense. I've done this so many times but writing directions for it seems very hard to me.
    Shirley
    Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Is your little one going to complain? I would just make the seams deeper.
    Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM

I have cut 1/2" strips of batting and stuffed the binding as I sewed the back side down. I liked how it looked when it was done - almost like fat piping/cording, but puffy and softer.

I would rather take a beatin' than unsew. ;)