Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding too wide--Need input >
  • Binding too wide--Need input

• Binding too wide--Need input

Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 AM
    Vat

I would take it off and cut it down to 1 7/8 inch, fold in half and sew 1/4 inch seam back onto the quilt front. Sounds like to me, you are not pleased or why else would you ask? I like my bindings the same on the front and back.
    Old 05-23-2011, 03:52 AM

I would either resew using 1/2" or 3/8" seam as suggested in an earlier post or double fold the binding before folding over to the back and just hand stitch to back. Hope all these posts help and good luck...PS. LOVE YOUR QUILT...GREAT JOB!
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 AM

When you turn the binding to the back lay a small thin piece of batting next to the seam and then fold over. I do this all the time because I like the effect of the binding having a little puffiness to it.
    Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    Still working on baby quilt for my niece's first child who arrived in February. I made bias binding and didn't realize it was too wide until after I sewed it onto the front. When I wrap it to the back, keeping the width the same both front and back, the binding’s not filled to the edge. If I pull it tight to the back, the back binding will be at least 1/2 inch wider than the front binding and I'll have to mitre it on the back "corners" to get it to fit. I could fold it under on the back to get the right width but the extra bulk will make the edge "harder" and less drapy. Or I could take it off, cut 1 inch off the width and resew it. Any other ideas? What would you do?
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 AM

I would take it off and cut to correct size. But just one question, why did you make it bias?
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 AM

Love the strip on the bias ... beautiful finish. If it was mine, I'd take the binding off and re-do it. My seam ripper and I are good friends! Absolutely gorgeous ... I'd love to see the finished quilt.
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    Either take it off and cut it narrower or try sewing a 1/2" seam instead of the 1/4" you have already sewn :D:D:D
    Yep, that's my suggestion as well. When you start to sew the wider seam allowance, start with a basting stitch and go several inches. Stop and fold the binding to the back to see if its satisfactory before you continue with a shorter stitch length. It will be easy to remove if your seam allowance needs to change.
    By the way, the binding should be a little wider in the back or it won't cover the sewing line. And it is perfectly fine if its a bit wider than just a little! Just make sure that it is fully stuffed, not flat and empty.
    Here is a binding tutorial you may find helpful, especially for your corners:

http://sometimescrafter.blogspot.com...rt-series.html
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 AM

I don't see a problem.
    Just turn it under and stitch in the ditch, watching your corners as you go. Doesnt matter if the border is an inch wide or an inch and a half. No one will know but you.
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:41 AM

I have a quilt that was given to me where the quilter just wrapped it the back as some have suggested. It is fine because the back was plain. The wider border was handsewn and just added a bit more color to the back. I like it!
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 AM

How wide did you cut the binding to start with? It should be 2 1/4 inches wide folded in half & sewed on with a 1/4" seam & turned to the back & sew down.
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 AM

You can "stuff" the binding by cutting a thin strip of batting and putting it inside the binding before turning over. I have done this before and it works.

Vicky