Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding too wide--Need input >
  • Binding too wide--Need input

• Binding too wide--Need input

Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 AM

I'd leave it and just make the binding wider on the back. It will look great, and you will get compliments on it. I do this all the time. Go with it!
    Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 AM

As others have said, being a little wider or the back isn't a problem unless it bothers you. You could also make the binding wider by still sewing it the quarter inch on the back but adding more batting to 'stuff' the binding. Just cut narrow strips of batting and stuff as you go. If you do decide to remove the binding to cut it down, I would suggest cutting a new binding if you have the extra fabric. No matter how careful you are removing it, it will stretch and you might have a problem resewing it so it stays nice and flat.
    Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 AM

The quilt is adorable and the baby, nor anyone else, will notice the difference. My motto is: If a man on a galloping horse, can't see it, don't redo it.

I would just sew the wider binding in the back and bet no one can tell the difference.
    Good luck.
    Diane in PA
    Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 AM

There are no quilt police here. A wider binder might be very attractive.

If it bothers you too much take it off and trim it down. Or, as someone else said, sew it on with a wider seam allowance.
    Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    Still working on baby quilt for my niece's first child who arrived in February. I made bias binding and didn't realize it was too wide until after I sewed it onto the front. When I wrap it to the back, keeping the width the same both front and back, the binding’s not filled to the edge. If I pull it tight to the back, the back binding will be at least 1/2 inch wider than the front binding and I'll have to mitre it on the back "corners" to get it to fit. I could fold it under on the back to get the right width but the extra bulk will make the edge "harder" and less drapy. Or I could take it off, cut 1 inch off the width and resew it. Any other ideas? What would you do?
    I like binding wider on the back than the front. It frames the backing. Until I read the responses to your post, I had never thought that binding needed to be the same width on both front and back. Good heavens! If I start worrying about all these rules, quilting won't be fun anymore. froggyintexas
    Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I'd just increase the seam allowance as has been suggested already. No unsewing, no stretching that bias binding unnecessarily, no hassles, just a little math to figure out how much further in you need to go.
    TWIWGTS.
    Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    For this project, I wouldn't let it bother me if the width of binding showing on the back of the quilt is bigger than the front. Rembember, it's not in a judged quilt show. Next time, I would just cut the binding more narrow.

The quilt looks adorable, by the way!
    My bindings are always bigger on the back than the front. My quilts don't go in shows so it is not a big deal for me. I would rather have a bit more to work with than find out I could have used a little more width, especially on the corners. Just me I guess.
    Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Don't sweat the small stuff! So what if it is wider on the back???
    Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 AM

I would sew at 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 myself. But then I hate to take it apart if not necessary.
    Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 AM

I sew my bindings on the front and flip over to the back and hand sew them. My back is usually a bit wider than the front but in hand sewing it, it makes no difference.

When I have it so the back and the front are both the 1/4", it is difficult for me to hold it when sewing and is very hard on my left wrist. Puts a big strain on it.

I also use the clips to hold it in place when sewing.