Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding - Which way do you prefer to cut it? >
  • Binding - Which way do you prefer to cut it?

• Binding - Which way do you prefer to cut it?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Crosswise if it's a rectangular quilt. I like to have a little give when I apply the binding. Length of fabric does not have any give.
    This is my preferred way. Unless I have stripes or a definitely pattern that needs to be cut a certain way, I prefer crosswise because it gives me a bit of give. Stripes I usually do on the bias because I love the "barber pole" look.
    Old 07-05-2017, 08:04 PM

I am a true bias. I always have some kind of hinky something, a little fold here or there, if I cut lengthwise or crosswise. Bias is the only way to go for me. I am one of those who doesn't iron the bindings in half. I just fold and sew the binding on, paying close attention to my 1/4" seam.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-05-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 AM

I always cut mine crosswise. I've never tried using bias binding. Like Tartan, I join lengths on the bias & cut 2 1/4" strips for double fold binding.
    Old 07-06-2017, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    Since I stopped ironing my binding in half, I find it does not matter which way I cut it, so I do what works easiest based on the print, or other cutting need I have.

Before that change, I had much better luck using true bias.
    Just curious to know, Macybaby, how you do your binding? (BTW, I usually do mine cross-wise, but sometimes I use scraps so it's every which way)
    Old 07-06-2017, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Bias only if I am doing curves. All other times across the yardage at 2-1/4 inches for double fold binding. I do bias joins for one long strip.
    ME TOO. I was taught this way in my quilting class and find it fast and easy.
    Old 07-06-2017, 03:28 AM

Cutting direction- Whichever way works for the effect I want. So, sometimes lengthwise, sometimes crosswise, occasionally bias.

Size- Depends on how quilt will be used and effect I want. If it's for a baby quilt or bed quilt that gets used a lot then I usually cut at 3" wide for double fold and sew it all by machine using the Martelli tools. This way is fast since the tools help keep me in the ditch on the front side and also keep the binding in exactly the right place on the back so it gets sewn down neatly and is very secure. Other quilts width depends on effect and if it will be in a competition, then hand stitched on back.

Rob
    Old 07-06-2017, 03:31 AM

Crosswise for me, unless the quilt has a scalloped edge and then it's got to be bias cut.
    Old 07-06-2017, 04:30 AM

I almost always cut WOF, but will cut bias if doing curves, or if its a striped fabric that I want on bias for design reasons. I cut WOF because I like to keep as much of my fabric as possible intact. if I cut several pieces off the length of it, it's harder to know how much fabric I really have the next time I want to use it for another pattern...
    Old 07-06-2017, 05:20 AM

When binding a straight edged quilt I always cut the binding straight at 2 1/2". I usually cut the fabric for borders and binding using fabric crosswise-wof, therefore less piecing. If binding around a scalloped edge or curved outer edge, you must use binding cut on the bias.
    Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 AM

I am trying to figure out how you attach your binding to your quilt if you don't iron it in half. Can someone help me? If it does save some time I am interested. Thanks