Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding width, does it need to be even on both sides of quilt? >
  • Binding width, does it need to be even on both sides of quilt?

• Binding width, does it need to be even on both sides of quilt?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:26 AM

There is no "rule" about a quarter inch finished binding according to current judging standards either, if there ever was one. The binding width should be proportional to the size and design of the quilt.
    Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Love your siggie!
    Old 05-23-2010, 01:21 PM
    Power Poster

it will always be a little wider on the side you hand stitch, in your case the back because you are pulling the binding down over the stitching line, to cover it, so it is normal, if it were the same or narrower the stitchs would show that you used to machine stitch the first half...make sense?
    Old 05-23-2010, 02:09 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    I normally cut my binding strips 2 1/4" wide and do the double fold method. I attach the binding on the front of the quilt with a quarter inch seam, fold over and stitch to the back. But the binding width on the back of the quilt is always wider than what is on the front.
    Same here. I have tried different widths but end up going back to this size.
    Old 05-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Before sewing on my binding, I usually trim my quilt to straighten the edges and square up the corners. Most of the time the quilt edge is straight, but sometimes it has gotten crooked a little bit during the quilting. This way I know that my quilt edge is straight and corners are square. After sewing on the binding with a 1/4" seam I add a 1/2" strip of batting inside the binding so I know it is full. It just looks nicer than a flat binding.
    Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
    Has anyone ever used less than 2 1/2 for the starting width of your binding? What were the results? Have you used 2 1/4? Is this unacceptable?

I have a few tops that I am finishing now that I hope to have judged in a show in the fall and I never really thought about the dos and don'ts for binding. I usually do my binding like many have already mentioned but now I'm going to look up the tutorial. Thanks for bringng this up!
    I cut my binding 2 3/8, just shy of the 2 1/2, I use the edge of my walking for seam allowance and trim after binding is attached, leaving about 1/8 extra of backing and batting. Sometimes I need to trim it a little with my scissors while sewing by hand to the backing. I have has two quilts hang in shows, MQX and Images, the judges did not comment on my bindings. I was not looking for a ribbon (good thing, cuz I didn't get one) LOL
    I changed the way I miter my corner after taking a class from SS and my corners are always dead on, now.
    Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 PM

I usually cut my bindings 2 1/4" wide, but regardless of however wide I cut them, I press them down the length of the middle. Then when I sew it on the top of the quilt I sew it halfway across the half that is on the top. When I flip it over to hand sew the back, I just barely cover my stitches from the front. That keeps both front and back just about even.
    Old 05-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Judges at our show have made comments that they like to see it the same on the back and the front of the quilt. And always full (front and back fabrics and batting extending all the way to the fold) I always cut mine 2", sew with a 1/4" seam, and still have a little extra on the back, as I do pull it snuggly around the edge to tack it down. I have even considered cutting mine at 1 7/8" and a friend told me it will even work with 1 3/4" cut width, but I have not tried it yet. And on miniatures, you would want as narrow a binding as you can do.
    Old 05-23-2010, 05:12 PM
    Google Goddess

http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ee%20Stuff.htm

Originally Posted by kayquilt
    what site is Sharon Schamber's site?
    Originally Posted by Pam
    I cut mine 2 1/8 ONCE. It barely covered the line where I sewed the binding on to begin with. As long as your binding is tight, filled with batting, your corners are square, (lots of mine aren't, somehow, I made a dip in them right before the point) I might have pulled too tight with the stitching. Anyway, NOW I use the method on Sharon Schamber's site, and I recommend it. Check it out, it will change your bindings!
    Old 05-23-2010, 08:08 PM

[