Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding width >
  • Binding width

• Binding width

Old 07-15-2007, 09:37 PM

The binding I had made for my denim quilt appears to be not wide enough to fit properly...it barely covers the edge. I think my wonderful math skills and the thickness of the fabric (denim-like fabric) attributed to this width problem.

In any case, I need to make more binding, but I need help on figuring out how thick to cut the strips for the binding...'cause my math skills aren't the greatest. I only got one shot at this since I've only got one pair of jeans to work with (yeah, its thick, but I've already spent too much on this quilt because of mess-ups so I'm not going to make another trip to Wal-Mart and just work with what I already have). Suggestions?
    Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 PM

What size did you cut the first binding?
    Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 AM

Hi Flying_V_Goddess
    How wide do you want your finished binding to be? I use double fold straight cut binding, so my rule of thumb is multiply finished width of binding by 6 plus 1/4" for easement. I've never worked with denim though :) so some of these other ladies will probably be able to give you better advise. Cheers, have been following your battle with the denim quilt and have been cheering from the sidelines, so would really love to see a pic when you win :)
    Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 AM

In the past , using lighter weight fabrics, I have cut the strips 2 1/2 inches and doubled the srip --right sides out and attached it to the quilt. With denim I am not sure if you would want to double it as it might be too thick.
    Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 AM

I, too, have always used 2 1/2 inch wide strip for binding, maybe for the denim it could be a little wider, 3 inches????
    Attached Thumbnails sydquilt.jpg   sydquilt2.jpg   chase1.jpg   chase2.jpg  
    Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM

That is a good idea--allowing for the extra thickness of the denim. Straight cut --not bias.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc00335.jpg   dsc00390.jpg   dsc00598.jpg   dsc00614.jpg   dsc00618.jpg  

dsc00803.jpg   dsc02087.jpg   p1010011-2-.jpg   p1010136.jpg   p1010137.jpg  

Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM

maybe instead of attaching the binding in the usual way, because of thickness why not just lay it on fold to other side and use a blanket stich or zigzag it on. Or any other fancy stitch
    Old 07-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Well, I am of no help on that bc most of my creations are figured out as I go....and I'm a newbie to the big stuff...
    BUT....As for jeans....I get mine at a thrift store for 50 cents a pair! usually, i don't find them in my size, I buy for sewing and stuff...
    hth
    Old 07-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Boy around here they sure aren't .50 a pair, they want 7 and 8 dollars for them and they get them free. I am saving old ones to make a jean quilt for my grandson, but it will be awhile til I get enough.
    Attached Thumbnails blazing-star.jpg   christmas-table-runner.jpg   table-runner-2.jpg   yellow-quilt.jpg  
    Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
    What size did you cut the first binding?
    Just off the top of my head, I think the fabric strips were 1.25" before they were folded into binding.

Originally Posted by ShellyQ
    Hi Flying_V_Goddess
    How wide do you want your finished binding to be? I use double fold straight cut binding, so my rule of thumb is multiply finished width of binding by 6 plus 1/4" for easement. I've never worked with denim though :) so some of these other ladies will probably be able to give you better advise. Cheers, have been following your battle with the denim quilt and have been cheering from the sidelines, so would really love to see a pic when you win :)
    What exactly is straight cut binding?

I want the binding to be the same width as my seam allowance...which is 5/16" (1/16" shy of being 1/4"). So according to your formula and if I'm doing my math right I'd have to cut strips that are... 2 1/8"?

Originally Posted by ceannastahr
    maybe instead of attaching the binding in the usual way, because of thickness why not just lay it on fold to other side and use a blanket stich or zigzag it on. Or any other fancy stitch
    I really don't want to use the zig zag stitch...just a matter of preference and how much thread it will take to cover 280 inches of raw edges.