Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding width? >
  • Binding width?

• Binding width?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 AM

I do the 2-1/2", sew in half and then sew it on the quilt. Easy peasy!!!!! Edie
    Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
    Up until my last project I always used 2 1/4" binding, doubled. On my last quilt the backing came out just a bit too short so my choices were either trim the quilt down or use a wider binding. I decided on the wider binding, 1" finished, 6 1/4" strip doubled. I really like the look of the wider binding and will definitely use it again, my daughter liked it too, the quilt was for her. I will cut my strips at 6 1/2" next time. I also learned through experimenting that you stop the distance from the corner equal to the width of the binding, for 1' binding stop 1' from corner to do your miter. Had to rip out more than once before I got it right.
    Thank you, I wondered how to manage the corners on wider binding.
    Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 AM

I used to always make a narrow binding for all my quilts, doubling a 2-1/4" binding as many of you do. But when I attended an art quilt exhibition at Visions Art Quilt Gallery in San Diego recently, I noticed many art quilts finished with a pillowcase edge (without binding). That gave the quilts a free, unconfined feeling, which I thought enhanced their themes. My traditional quilts will still have bindings, but my art quilts will definitely sport a new look.
    Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 AM

I have done all of the above. But have decided for most quilts I like it cut 2 1/2 inches. I do use narrower bindings on real small stuff like doll quilts, placemats and the like. All my bindings are folded in half, sewon on, and turned over.
    Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 AM

I have done them with 2 1/4 and just recently 3 inches. I have an accuquilt go and have a 3" die I wanted to try. I really do like the larger binding, sets it off a little more. But again as everyone is saying, a personal preference.
    Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 AM

It is whatever you want it to be. I usually cut mine about 2 1/2" or 3" and then fold in half and it makes a nice binding.
    Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 AM

2 1/4" folded makes approximately 1/4" binding when finished. Straight grain or bias grain if there are curves in the border.
    Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Depending on the thickness of the quilt batting, I cut 2" or 2 1/2", fold in half and sew the raw edges to the front of the quilt edge, turn to back, which leave me with a 1/2" finished binding, or 5/8" finished binding. Works for me. I like a tight binding.
    Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
    I used to always make a narrow binding for all my quilts, doubling a 2-1/4" binding as many of you do. But when I attended an art quilt exhibition at Visions Art Quilt Gallery in San Diego recently, I noticed many art quilts finished with a pillowcase edge (without binding). That gave the quilts a free, unconfined feeling, which I thought enhanced their themes. My traditional quilts will still have bindings, but my art quilts will definitely sport a new look.
    Sounds interesting but what is a pillow case edge?
    Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM

Sometimes I cut a wider binding and bring the majority of the fabric to the front of the quilt and it looks like a border. This is real cute on smaller items, I just did pot holders and mug rugs like this.

Judy in Michigan