Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bird nest question >
  • Bird nest question

• Bird nest question

Old 04-02-2016, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, either leave an ender on your machine (which is what I prefer to do) or hold on to the bobbin thread.
    Old 04-02-2016, 09:20 PM

You guys are the best! Not only were your replies to my question super fast but they were right on too! Yes, the problem was so easily remedied by holding onto the top thread. I must say I am now thrilled with my new machine and the wonderful time saving features. It will not only save me time but also will allow for neater finishes.

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to help me out!
    Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 AM

You will need to pull bobbin thread to the top or you can also start sewing with a small piece of scrap fabric before you want to start your project . You would just feed your fabric and the the birds nest would be on the scrap fabric. Another reason could be dull needle or pressure foot is up. I hold the thread on either side of the tension disc, and slide it back and forth a bit between the plates with a flossing motion. The tension discs need to “grasp” the thread snugly.
    Old 04-03-2016, 04:37 AM

I find that the nests at the beginning are made with the top thread. If you use different colors on top and bottom, you will know which makes the nest.

It seems this machine is trying to knot the beginning of the sewn line. Mine doesn't have that, but when I install a freshly filled bobbin, I pull the end over the little thread cutter under there. That leaves about an inch or so of thread, and doesn't seem to bother.

I think leaders and enders will solve your problem.
    Old 04-03-2016, 04:46 AM
    Power Poster

You can also try using the cut feature but don't do a lock stitch when starting a new seam. I never lock stitch when I piece .
    Old 04-03-2016, 04:48 AM

I agree with Madquilter. I have found that when this happens it is usually a bobbin problem. I try not to wind my bobbins at high speed and get better results.
    Old 04-03-2016, 05:01 AM

Even though my little machine doesn't have a lock stitch, I still have learned to hold the threads when I begin a seam. After I discovered the thrill of chain piecing, almost all of my bird-nest problems went away. It only takes a nest or two to remind me to hold my threads!
    Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenhill
    Thank you all so very much for your kind help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

If I have to hold onto the threads when I start sewing then I have two choices:
    1. continue using the automatic thread cutter at the end of the row of sewing and then have to pull up the bobbin thread every time
    or
    2. stop using the auto thread cutter, and manually cut the threads at the end of the row the old fashioned way

Feeling a bit disappointed as I was really looking forward to using the lock stich. I also don't like the extra step of having to hold onto my stitches as I start sewing.

Are all new machines with auto thread cutters this way?

I am realizing how lovely it was to have the old machine, knowing it so well and being able to stich so beautifully. (I had a Pfaff Stretch and Jeans that was about 17 years old.
    I got a new Babylock about a year ago. When I use the thread cutter it also does this. Then there is no bobbin thread to hold onto. It stays below the needle plate. So, I have started using leaders and enders.

I too have an older Pfaff. Luckily, I didn't get rid of it.
    Old 04-03-2016, 04:41 PM

I agree with the others on this board that it is your bobbin thread. Have you looked at Bonnie Hunters web site Quiltville.com She has a leaders and enders method that helps with smoother starts. I have been using this method for a long time. You can actually be working on a scrappy quilt at the same time you are making your quilt. Great technique.
    Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Are you sure you have it threaded correctly? Is your bobbin wound well and not upside down in the bobbin case? Do you have the correct throat plate on the machine, not one for zig-zag etc. Is it a new new machine or just new to you? Are you eligible for the free lessons? If so, use them and learn to really enjoy your new machine!