Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • black batting >
  • black batting

• black batting

Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 AM

I am about to sandwhich a tree of life quilt. The pieced top consists of one large center panel that has a white background w/ the tree and animals in bright colrs ( including black). The 7 layers of borders consist of black and other very bright colors. The backing is a black background w/ all the bright colors. I have a king batting in black my sis sent me w/ the kit. Is there a reason to use black batting over white?? Won't the black batt. show through the center panel white background??
    Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 AM

I think that you'd use black batting on a quilt with mostly darks so that if there was any bearding, it wouldn't show as much as white would...

I have a package of black batting, but I haven't used it yet. I definitely wouldn't use it on a quilt with a lot of white in the top.
    Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 AM

Can you layer a thin piece of white batting behind the center block? It would make the center more puffy. Just a thought.

I've only used black batting once and it was on a quilt that was primarily dark red and black. I quilted it with black thread.

I would think with that white background and that black backing you would have to be careful with your thread color. Tension would have to be perfect to keep white from showing up on the back and black from showing on top.
    Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 AM

I've used the black batting but I wouldn't recommend it for a quilt that had white in it. You could always piece the batting, making the center white and the rest black. Here's the one that I used black in.

just a small (baby quilt size) that I made to practice fused applique when I was learning how
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]164142[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-164137.jpe  
    Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 AM
    Power Poster

yes, the black batt will show through the lighter fabrics, usually we use black batts in dark/black quilts...they will --dull-- bright/light colors --it;s good if you want to 'tone down' something too bright. but i would switch to a white or natural batt if using with any whites/lights
    Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    I've used the black batting but I wouldn't recommend it for a quilt that had white in it. You could always piece the batting, making the center white and the rest black. Here's the one that I used black in.
    I LOVE that Pirate quilt! Do you know what the pattern is called, or did you make it up yourself? It is amazing. I have two little nephews known as the Pirate Kings, and a 40 year old brother still obsessed with pirates.