Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Blanket stitch gone wonky, but think I've figured it out.... >
  • Blanket stitch gone wonky, but think I've figured it out....

• Blanket stitch gone wonky, but think I've figured it out....

Old 01-09-2016, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

That is a really nice tip for using this product. TFS
    peace
    Old 01-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Thanks for sharing this. Please give us an update about the fusible when you can. So nice to know ahead of time to just be aware.
    Old 01-09-2016, 06:20 PM

I was doing the same stitch with my BL on the orange peel (MSQC) and it was doing the V thing sporadically too....I took it to the dealer.....she had to call someone from headquarters who gave her some kind of code that took her deep into the computer of the machine....did some sort of stitch combo and it "reset" itself and now works fine....I was watching this, so I know it really happened....strange..

also why are you using a stabilizer along with the fusible....just wondering....I never have used stabilizer with fusible raw edge appliquéappliqué

Last edited by Geri B; 01-09-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    Old 01-09-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    I was doing the same stitch with my BL on the orange peel (MSQC) and it was doing the V thing sporadically too....I took it to the dealer.....she had to call someone from headquarters who gave her some kind of code that took her deep into the computer of the machine....did some sort of stitch combo and it "reset" itself and now works fine....I was watching this, so I know it really happened....strange..
    also why are you using a stabilizer along with the fusible....just wondering....I never have used stabilizer with fusible raw edge appliquéappliqué
    I have a Viking and my dealer/repair place is horrible to deal with (anything that goes wrong is ALWAYS user's fault; the machine is fine) so I am hesitant to take it there.
    I used both a fusible and a stabilizer because I don't know any better! I know I'm going to try eliminating one or the other next time. I had started using both when I had tried to do a satin stitch on applique which had been pulling and tenting. Using both eliminated the problem. But maybe I don't need it for the blanket stitch --- but the Viking machine instructions say to use a stabilizer with the blanket stitch. I guess it all comes down to testing before stitching even if I think I've done this before.... Thanks for your input!
    Old 01-10-2016, 05:45 AM

Yes, with satin stitch I can see using stabilizer under the work, but with buttonhole, because it is not as dense, I haven't had a problem with puckering...but there's always today! We do it the best way for us....
    Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 AM
    Power Poster

She said that a 'new, revised formula' in one of our most popular (but I'm not naming them!)
    How by not giving the name of the product helping anyone?
    Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    How by not giving the name of the product helping anyone?
    Until I am convinced which product is the culprit, I'm not spreading mis-information. At this point, it could be the stabilizer, the fusible, or even the needle and/or machine. I thought I was sure when I first posted but now, after reading all these replies, I'm not so sure. Will keep group posted after all my testing is done. Sorry for the confusion ---- probably shoulda kept quiet about the whole thing!
    Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 AM

For sure it's not the needle. Not for sure on what is causing the problems. I rinsed out the stabilizer in water for about 15 minutes and dried it. Not sure what water-rinsing does to the fusible --- it didn't seem to loosen it tho. Tried stitching again and found the sticky ball on the needle still forms but not so much as before. So, could it be residue from the stabilizer (Solvy), or is it the newer-formula Lite Steam-a-Seam 2? Can't tell. I'm now thinking that perhaps the drag on the fabric from both the stabilizer and fusible was causing the wonky stitches. Lesson learned: use stabilizer or fusible, but not both if it can be avoided. And if I have to use both, will only use a tear-away stabilizer. Does that sound like a workable plan??? We'll see....
    Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 AM

Have you tried a piece with stabilizer only, one with infer facing only, to see which, if either is causing sticky balls on needle?
    Old 01-11-2016, 09:24 AM

Try using freezer paper on the back as a stabilizer...leaves no residue and peels right off...