Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bleeding >
  • Bleeding

• Bleeding

Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 AM
    Administrator

when i replied to this post the first time i forgot to mention something.

Retayne is used to set colors after dying but not until the newly dyed fabric has been rinsed thoroughly at least once. the best thing to use in the first rinse after printing or dying is Synthrapol. it stinks somethin' awful but is inexpensive, a little goes a very long way, works great, and once you wash the cloth once in your regular detergent the smell goes away.

whether synthrapol is a less expensive option than the color catchin' sheets ... i couldn't say.

i haven't had fabric bleed on me in years - and i almost never prewash - yet we've seen several posts from quilters whose hard work has been ruined because of it. given the price of today's fabric, none of it should bleed. ever. if i ever get one that bleeds you can bet i'll post the name of the manufacturer and the fabric right here on the board as a warning to everybody else. AND i'd never buy another square inch of that company's fabric again at any price.
    Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM

true most of the time. but she said it was a rag quilt. i never wash my flannel before making a rag quilt. course i haven't used white before either. i wonder if she could pretend this is the color it is supposed to be :roll: :?:
    Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Well, Ladies, Glad to see that some others have had this same problem. I had to make the quilt all over, with new fabric and stayed away from red. I wish I knew who the manufacturer was but I got the fabric on a vacation and promptly through away any left over. I have never washed my flannel fabric before making a rag quilt. "I think I shall never use red again". :roll: Thanks again for all the advise!!