Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • block of the month >
  • block of the month

• block of the month

Old 02-03-2008, 04:35 AM

Oh no my anticipation has dwindled to none. After seeing the BOM I am scared. I know nothing about applique. Not even sure what it means. :( May have to sit this one out after all.
    Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 AM

new quiltertoni don't be afraid its just zigz zagging. Some do what is called needle turning wher the ends fold under . Others like me do it the easy way. Just place your pieces where they belong and set your machine to zig zag and go around the edges. Use a color that goes with each piece or pick one color to use like an outline.

DON"T be afaid you CAN DO IT
    Old 02-03-2008, 07:50 AM

Toni - this is an easy block to start on for applique. Ceannastahr is right, don't be afraid. There are a lot of different methods to applique. I prefer needle turn to anything else but when starting, I suggest going with machine applique. You can do several types of applique with the machine. One of the more popular methods is to use fusible web, the kind that sticks with both sides. You simply draw out the shape on the fusible web, iron it to the back of your fabric, and then cut out the shape. Once cut, you peel the second layer off the fusible web and iron the shape down onto your block. Presto! You've done your first applique piece. You can go around each shape with 2 ply black embroidery floss (like DMC, just make sure to run it under some water first to make sure all the extra dye is out of it) with a decorative stitch for some hand work or you can pick a decorative stitch from your sewing machine and sew the edges down that way. I think a hem stitch is what most people use but I'm not quite certain of the name.

There are a few more tricks for fusible applique but since you are literally just starting I won't overwhelm you with information. Or at least I'll try not too! :lol: If this method doesn't appeal to you, do a search for 'applique' and you'll find a ton of stuff on all sorts of different methods. Good luck!
    ~Tiffany
    Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by newquiltertoni
    Oh no my anticipation has dwindled to none. After seeing the BOM I am scared. I know nothing about applique. Not even sure what it means. :( May have to sit this one out after all.
    Oh, Please don't be scared. I'll feel horrid if you don't do this block. If I can do this block you can too.
    I used the method Tiffany mentions when I made my first Sue. It's very easy. I usually do a blanket stitch around the raw edge applique pieces by hand. Lately I've tried a few with the sewing machine and it does quite a nice job and does speed up the process. You can make Sue as simple or elaborate as you like.

Another option is to trace Sue and embroider her. I have a whole set of Sues to embroider that I purchased a few years back.

There are so many options. This is your chance to break a few rules and be creative.

P.S.
    If you could build that "Crystals" block you can do anything!
    Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 AM

Blanket Stitch! Geez, I must be getting old because I can't remember the names of things anymore. :roll: Thank you Yvonne!
    ~Tiffany
    Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM

Thank you Ruth for being so sweet, and sending me that reminder about the BOM. I had my mind on the loss of my job along with other domestic problems. It's nice to know that you cared, and took the time to show it, God bless you.
    Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sewsweet
    Thank you Ruth for being so sweet, and sending me that reminder about the BOM. I had my mind on the loss of my job along with other domestic problems. It's nice to know that you cared, and took the time to show it, God bless you.
    Ouch! It sounds like you've had a rough time lately. I hope the rest of the year picks up for you!
    ~Tiffany
    Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Tiffany
    Thanks for the great helpful info on how to fuse the block. Tonight I'm giving it a try, all new to me.

Come on Toni give it try. I know you can do it :wink:
    Quilters can do anything :lol:
    Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 AM
    Banned

Where can I find the BOMs everyone is talking about?
    Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 PM
    Administrator

http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-9-1.htm