Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • blocking a quilt >
  • blocking a quilt

• blocking a quilt

Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 PM

Default blocking a quilt

I am contemplating placing my bargello quilt in the fair and was curious do you block the quilt before adding the borders as well as after. Also what equipment do you guys use to block your quilts. I was looking at the wrights cardboard pattern cutting board. If there is anything easier to use I would like to know.
    Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 AM

i'll be honest - i rarely have to block my quilt because i'm pressing as i go w/ starch and pay real close attention to making sure it doesn't get real wonky during the process. However, i do make sure before i start to baste it prior to putting the quilting in it that things are squared up.
    Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 AM
    Power Poster

Ditto ... press after every seam, and square it up as you go. If you have everything cut straight and square, and seams are accurately sewn, then there's minimal blocking required ... and it's much easier sooner, rather than later!
    Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 AM

I block any quilt that I show after I'm done quilting. Some quilters do it before they put the binding on, but I block mine after I'm done with the binding and the sleeve. Believe me, I don't bother with any of this if the quilt isn't being shown!

I stretch mine out on the floor. If I don't wash it first, I use a spray bottle of water to dampen it. Then I measure the diagonals, and make sure they're the same. Then I measure across the center of the quilt and make sure the sides are straight, and the corners are square. I use pins to hold it down until it's dry - usually overnight.

My quilts are queen size, so a cutting board wouldn't help me. The problem with the Dritz cutting board is that when you get the quilt wet, the card board won't hold. Since I have hardwood floors, I use foam tiles under the quilt so I can pin easily - they're also easier on the knees.

This is a link that describes it better: http://www.quiltuniversity.com/blocking.htm

Good luck with your fair entry!

Janet
    Old 03-16-2012, 04:19 AM
    Power Poster

blocking is generally done after the quilt is all quilted -sometimes before binding- often after- as the final step. visit Ricky Timms web site- he had a pretty good tutorial on blocking at one time-it may still be there.
    Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 AM

I do mine after I have finished quilting. Rarely have to trim much though. Only if it stretched some during quilting.