Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Blooming Nine Patch not as square? >
  • Blooming Nine Patch not as square?

• Blooming Nine Patch not as square?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6
    Is there any reason you couldn't go on and do the OBW only using an array of fabrics to get your desired color gradation?
    I've seen quilts that used the OBW shape (equilateral triangles) with different fabrics, so it's not really a OBW but is sewn together in the same fashion. The tricky part is getting the fabrics in the right positions to. You can also use the kaleidoscope block with 8 triangles sewn together (with triangles on each corner to square it off). I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM

How about a watercolor-type 9-patch or 16-patch which blends the pinks and greens and sky blue in the right areas of the quilt?
    Like Sarah, I'm just sayin' - never done it but it looks pretty!
    It's the best days to be in DC,and what a wonderful idea to capture it in fabric!
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Interesting concept to do obw in multiple fabrics.
    but not sure i even have the right collection (yet) for that. Here's what I've got so far; it's really been difficult to get the colors I want.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-211438.jpe  
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM
    MTS
    Banned

For a Blooming, too many solids.

But, again, it depends on what you want. If you're trying to convey the overall feeling of THAT picture to YOU, then having a perfect Blooming (where you never see the 9 patches) wouldn't be an issue.

I've done many where, either at the beginning or the end, you could see some. I probably got tired of looking. But there would be run of 4-6 fabrics where you could see a one.

But the same would be true of those solids in an OBW.

Also, scale is important. If it's too small, it reads as a solid in the Blooming, which doesn't help the blending. Too big, and you have no control over color placement.

Are those some Antique Scroll fabrics from the Lakehouse Hydrangea line? That periwinkle looks very familiar. ;-)
    Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Okay, so I remove the solids (kept in a non-patterned batik) and this is all I got; if I understand correctly (the book's on its way, but I've been googling), I'll need MANY more prints in order to do the B9P. This has been part of my challenge-- finding the right prints. And I'm not jumping up and down about the third from the left.

And yes, that's the hydrangea print you referenced, MTS.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-211521.jpe  
    Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Are you using the pattern from Tradition With A Twist? I have made several quilts from this pattern and they all come out perfect. The designer/author is a friend of mine. Every pattern in this book is a winner. The best looking ones are all floral busy fabrics.
    Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
    Power Poster

Not sure, but it looks like two of the fabrics are batiks. Normally you can't make a OBW from a batik because the print is hand done, so it's not an even repeat. For a OBW (with hexagons) you would need 6 repeats of your print.
    Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM

The batiks would be used if I did a blooming nine patch not an obw.
    Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Inspiration picture is gorgeous. Hope it works out in you quilt. Would love to see a picture when it is done.
    Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
    I've started collecting fabric for a quilt that will communicate cherry blossom season here in the Washington DC area -- pinks, off-white, pale ("spring") greens, moving into deep roses and rich olive greens, and possibly into darker magenta and deep forest greens.

I've been debating between a blooming nine patch and a one-block wonder design.

I'm feeling more drawn to the blooming nine patch-- I LOVE the transitions, BUT I prefer the more abstract layout of the OBW.

Which got me wondering (and I've already done some googling on this without success): Has anyone done a variation of the blooming nine patch that does not result in a square or rectangular format?

Thanks!

-- Jillaine
    each fabric should combine the colors of 3 or more surrounding fabrics for the "blend" in a blooming nine patch. I've done both quilts. I have often wondered and even posted about doing a "blooming" one block wonder. My avatar is my sons' wedding quilt and I blended 3 fabrics in that obw. It was a lot of fun to do. Go for it.... please update us on your progress!!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-211755.jpe