Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Blue Markings on old quilt top >
  • Blue Markings on old quilt top

• Blue Markings on old quilt top

Old 10-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that not all the marks were intended to come out. I have worked several "old kits" and many do not. I don't know if it is age or on purpose.
    Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Until the early 1990's the printing was done with a heat set process. There was no process for a washout ink. Report over the years have said only with repeated washing will they lighten but won't totally disappear. I assume it was the assumption that the quilter would cover the marks in the process of appliqué. Am afraid you are stuck with the marks.
    It has nothing to do with age but the printing process. The wash out products became available in the early 1990's with the preprinted wholecloth designs. It was a few years after that that the companies printing embroidery blocks caught up with the process.
    Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM

I have an embroidered quilt on my bed that my fabulous Aunt Mary embroidered and I hand quilted on the "dots" provided by the printer and the dots (and some of the embroidery lines) have never washed out and the quilt has been washed, dried, line dried in the sun, etc. for the past 20+ years. Sorry.
    Old 10-22-2017, 03:39 PM

I just finished a runner with 3 -18" embroidered blocks that my sister did 13 years ago...she had done enough for 4 quilts, and I had the 3 left to do a runner for my younger sister...I was the one to get all my sisters sewing things when we lost her in 2004 to colon cancer...It took me quite a while to use her things, but what I wanted to say was, all the squares had the blue markings for the quilting lines..and everyone one has came out, when I washed the finished quilts and the table runner I finished up this past week. I washed them in cold water and a little washing powder... on gentle cycle...I was really worried that they wouldn't come out after waiting for so long...but so happy they did...Hope you have good results with yours...