Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • BOM... Prices >
  • BOM... Prices

• BOM... Prices

Old 09-05-2016, 03:12 AM

$31/$41 a month is high to me for just one quilt block. That's $310/$410 just for the quilt top. Is shipping included for each month? Then you have to buy the batting, backing, and binding. Do you love it enough to spend that kind of money? I have never done a BOM. What happens if you make an error and need additional fabric?
    Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 AM

I am another one that cannot justify the cost of the BOM quilt I have tried a couple and they are just to expensive for me I have really enjoyed some free blocks of the month where we only get the pattern meet with a couple friends that want to do the same use and or exchange our own fabric and what a great time we have good luck on whatever you decide but this also can be kept within budget
    Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 AM

I found a quilt kit or BOM that I dearly loved on the internet. Thought I could do this cheaper than that. Well, the hunt began for the fabrics. Couldn't find all those that were mentioned even with the internet. Sold out in some places. So did the best I could with the pattern illustrations to match the fabrics, in value and color. Did I mention that I live in a small rural area and so had to travel far afield and used the internet? Finally got started. I really liked it but THEN saw one with the "real" fabrics. Oh my. Such a difference. By the time I drove all over finding fabrics, trolling the internet, I would have been dollars ahead to buy the kit or BOM. Usually, they don't trip my trigger to this degree; but the finished one will be beautiful even if not like the original. When I see another one that I "must" have, I will remember this experience.
    Old 09-05-2016, 10:26 AM

Every time I've fallen in love with a BOM I just can't do it when I add up all the monthly costs and other costs for finishing the quilt. It would have to be something so extremely special to spend that kind of money.
    Old 09-05-2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    I have fallen for a gorgeous BOM, I've never stitched a purchased BOM before. I'm not sure how pricey is pricey! LOL
    The price range on this BOM depending on the option I choose is $31/$41 per month for 10 months. Everything is included except the backing.. ALL patterns, instructions, fabrics and embellishments...Is that about what the BOM's cost??
    Thank you so much for enlightening me.
    Which shop is it? Have you searched online for other quilt shops that are selling the same BOM in order to compare prices? That is the better way to judge.

Is it an appliqued quilt with the option of laser cut fabric (which will raise the price)? It sounds like it might be, since you are stating 2 prices. Generally, a BOM does include the pattern and the fabrics for the top and usually the binding, but not the backing. Nor do all shops include the embellishments in the price (because they do cost money).

On the other hand, I do know of one online shop that does include backing and an "oops" package in their price.
    Old 09-05-2016, 04:01 PM

For me, it depends on how bad I want it. Of course, that is everything I see! I currently have 11 BOM's to get to! A couple were duplicates from a LQS before it closed, and a couple online. Depending upon the complexity and the creator, they run higher than that.
    Old 09-05-2016, 07:31 PM

I am doing this https://www.csm.ca/cantik_batiks/can...y-shania-sunga to celegrate Canada's 150 anniversary next year.

Shania has created BOM for both Canada and the USA, the kits are $15.00 each. I am collecting the kits for each country and may mix up the blocks in the final quilts. I have no idea what the price on the 'finishing set' will be.
    Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. very much appreciated! As much as I love that BOM I just can't justify that much money! I just feel like it's too expensive...JMHO When I consider how much fabric I could purchase with what I would pay for the entire thing.... that changes my mind instantly!! Always been a thrifty gal all my life. Saved alot of pennies, nickels and dimes over the years.. my splurges have been my sewing/embroidery machines... I'm totally content with having the luxury of having them. I will definitely survive w/o that BOM!
    Thanks again everyone, I just love how quilters come together and share everything...even honest opinions!
    Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 PM

Since this includes shipping/handling and everything except the backing I'd say this is a good deal. Now I'm curious which one it is. I did one at a shop which was nice as questions could be answered right away but I've seen some really nice ones that come in the mail.
    Old 09-06-2016, 06:17 PM

I refuse to buy kits, one, because they're expensive, two, every kit has the same fabrics, unless they run out of a particular fabric/s, well, in my opinion, why not just buy a quilt off the rack. I want to use MY choice of fabrics, not theirs.