Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt >
  • Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt

• Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt

Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by helenquilt
    Would love to see a picture of you finished quilt 'Orca Bay'. I did that one but have yet to quilt it. I can't seem to see a pattern to quilt. My only other comment is WHY do it during the holidays when I am so busy already.
    She does the Mystery during this time of the year because she takes this time off from her teaching schedule during the holidays. Here is a photo of my last two Mystery Quilts, the 1st one if Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll from 2010, and the 2nd is Orca Bay from last year. These are the flimsys.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Default quiltinggrandma

yes i will be doing it
    [email protected]
    Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz
    Anyone have opinions on scrappy quilts made from a small number of fabrics? I found 4 each, of the 3 main colours and I'm wondering if that will be enough, or I should just toss in the towel and go completely non-scrappy. Will only 4 variations in each colour family make the quilt look odd? I know, you don't know what the final quilt looks like - but if you do a lot of scrappy quilts, maybe someone has an opinion?
    Krista, If you could squeeze one more to make an uneven number I think you'll be fine.
    I ran out of browns last year so by the time I was finished cutting I was down to 3 or 4 choices. I just made sure they were all mixed up with the first cuts and it looks fine. The fewer colors the more often same fabrics will come up beside each other, but when the top is finished it is the lively mix you see, not individuals.

In a perfect world I'd have at least 13 different fabrics for each color. but I work strictly from stash and that isn't going to happen anymore

This is my final grouping, I went for a pale green for my gray constant.
    bonnie said in her quilt cam the constant will be creating a secondary pattern this year.
    Attached Thumbnails easy-street-fabs.jpg  
    Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Oh Kalama that is going to be beautiful!
    Old 11-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Oooh! This sounds like fun. I'm gonna have to go check it out. I was fortunate to take a class from Bonnie Hunter a couple years ago when our guild brought her in. I still use the pattern we did that weekend. It was Star Struck. You can see it here:
    http://quiltville.com/starstruck.shtml

Mystery quilts are such fun. I enjoy the suspense of the whole process. And if I really don't like it when it's all done, I can always give it to someone who does or donate. But those photos you all have shared are gorgeous. I can't imagine I wouldn't like it.
    Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the link. Please remind us.
    Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 PM

I have never made a mystery quilt but I have been watching her web cam when I can.. I am trying to find the rulers. She does some amazing quilts.. I am so happy to know others are doing it too... Now i know I will try it too. Thanks
    Happy Sewing
    Pat
    Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pat_sews
    I have never made a mystery quilt but I have been watching her web cam when I can.. I am trying to find the rulers. She does some amazing quilts.. I am so happy to know others are doing it too... Now i know I will try it too. Thanks
    Happy Sewing
    Pat
    I found the Easy Angle ruler online for $7.27. I already had the other one. Just do a google search and you'll find them.
    Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Well ladies..I was on the fence as the last thing I need is another large quilt lol and I really don't have enough scraps lol..but remembering how much fun I had last year ( here is a pic of my finished Orca Bay http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t185501.html ) I decided I'd join and just make a little more than half the blocks for a good throw size quilt..as is with Holidays I'll be late and a smaller quilt is what I need lol. Also, I am using orange and yellow for Bonnie's lime green and turquoise and then purple for Bonnie's purple. Still deciding on her constant grey, I may use blue or green and based on what I do with that, I may go with a white or balck background..have Fabs laid out..just need to live with them for a few days to make my decision.

Looking forward to it..will try to finish what I have going by the 23rd so maybe I can keep up lol.

Are we gonna dedicate a new thread like we did lat year??
    Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM

I want to caution people who are like me with short attention spans. While I love to look at her quilts, last year was my first time trying her mystery, and I just don't have the attention span to cut and piece 300-700 of the same thing. Each week you will be told to make one more section of the block; such as "make 350 black and white half square triangles." I like doing sampler quilts, so this bored me to tears. I am determined to finish my Orca Bay someday, but I know that it will be my only Bonnie Hunter since I like looking at her quilts more than I like making them.