Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Books: What do you Recommend for a New/Intermediate Quilter? >
  • Books: What do you Recommend for a New/Intermediate Quilter?

• Books: What do you Recommend for a New/Intermediate Quilter?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
    Too bad my birthday has already passed for this year.
    Are you familiar with Alice in Wonderland? They celebrated "a very happy unbirthday" - that gives you 364 chances to get stuff. lol

I took a look at my bookshelf last night and realize that I have a book for pretty much every occasion. Once the basics were covered, I added books on specific patterns. (Stars, attic windows, birds, etc). Got quite a few on using Scraps and/or Fat quarters. Then I have some for specific processes (Crayons, applique, painting, embellishing) and if one each is good - more is better. Most of them I browse through to get inspiration. Many I will never make, but they are still pretty to look at.
    This also is a very good suggestion. I love looking at pictures of quilts!!! But once you get your basics down your creativity comes in and I've also thought about the books and patterns that I have on actually quilting them. I've purchased many books and patterns for quilting the quilts themselves. Found them very useful and also enjoyable to look through!! :-D
    Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 AM

Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions. I had the chance to go to the library this week and picked up a copy of 200 Quilting Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets by Susan Briscoe. I probably wouldn't buy it but it does seem pretty good. For example it has a couple of pages on puzzles and weaves (making a woven look.) They look stunning and it's not something I'd come across before.
    Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 AM

If it's convenient, check out a library or book store to see what's out there.
    My Mom gave me a general quilting book that has very comprehensive contents. I find myself referring to it frequently, and keep bookmarks in it. The finished quilts pictured in the book are nothing great, but they cover many techniques and shortcuts. I'm sure there are many books of the sort out there to choose from.
    Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Here's one that I love:

The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z-- Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking

And here's a link for a preview inside the book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=MQn...e+Visual+Guide:+From+A+to+Z--+Hundreds+of+Tips+and+Techniques+for+Successful+Qu iltmaking&source=bl&ots=1qIxMslNBD&sig=Q4jjHL4TbycMel3BZvCBcR6pz-o&hl=en&ei=01GmS9qCPYyosgOst8Ei&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false
    Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Here's one that I love:The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z-- Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking
    That looks very comprehensive. Isn't it funny how sketches can often communicate more clearly than photos? That always surprises me.