Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Border ideas >
  • Border ideas

• Border ideas

Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm finallly getting around to putting the borders on my Carpenter's Star quilt. All I can think of is 3 small borders with 9 patch corner stones.Anyone have suggestions/ideas. Also color for borders as I only have the blue fabric, so need to introduce other colors. :oops:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-237945.jpe   attachment-237946.jpe  
    Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM

very pretty. Always liked carpenters frame.

hmmm ... if you can't get more of the yellow, I'd start with a narrow blue border, then a pieced border in blue and white (flying geese or perhaps even a checkerboard). Bind in blue.

If you can get more yellow .. narrow blue border. narrow white border. pieced yellow and blue border. narrow white border. bind in blue.
    Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm a blue person, so for me blue it is.
    Old 08-07-2011, 12:51 PM
    Power Poster

I will suggest a very narrow black border to stop the quilt and then a medium gold 3" and a 5 or 6" blue in the same tone as the quilt.
    Very nice top !
    Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM

I agree with both DogHouseMom and ube quilting. While their answers are a little different from each other, they're on the same track - the right one, I think.

I also highly recommend spending some time looking a pictures of quilts, here on this board, in quilting shows, in books, etc. I think you'll quickly develop of sense of what you like best.
    Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 PM

I have a picture of one with a braided border. It looks great, but I think I'm going to do the curling ribbon from quilterscache on mine. http://www.quilterscache.com/P/PyramidBorder.html

Here's 86 pages - the braided on is on page three. I like the pyramids, too.http://www.google.com/search?q=carpe...2&ved=0CFkQsAQ
    Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM

I don't have an answer for your borders since I'm fairly new at all of this. But...........

I wanted to tell you that I love the quilt pattern and the work that you did. You quilt looks like it is 3D and to me that is so cool looking.
    Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
    I don't have an answer for your borders since I'm fairly new at all of this. But...........

I wanted to tell you that I love the quilt pattern and the work that you did. You quilt looks like it is 3D and to me that is so cool looking.
    When my friends held it up for me & I stood across the room it was amazing how 3D it looks.
    Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I have a picture of one with a braided border. It looks great, but I think I'm going to do the curling ribbon from quilterscache on mine. http://www.quilterscache.com/P/PyramidBorder.html

Here's 86 pages - the braided on is on page three. I like the pyramids, too.http://www.google.com/search?q=carpe...2&ved=0CFkQsAQ
    Thank you so much for this link. I will be doing another scrappy one in the not too distant future. This one has 9 inch blocks. Next one will have 6 inch blocks or whatever size block makes the best use of my fabrics.
    Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I will suggest a very narrow black border to stop the quilt and then a medium gold 3" and a 5 or 6" blue in the same tone as the quilt.
    Very nice top !
    This sounds about right as I have black & the blue fabrics. I wanted gold fabric for another project. Just couldn't find under $22 a meter and they only had one piece. I already put a narrow white border all the way around. In my mind it looked great, in reality it was reallly awful :oops: So next sewing session will be me & my ripper.