Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Border Question >
  • Border Question

• Border Question

Old 01-30-2010, 01:08 PM

I don't do anything the same everytime. I generally have a plan for my project's borders but don't cut the fabric until it's time to put each on. That way, I can lay it out next to the completed quilt and see if my original thought really looks best. I must admit that I most frequently put on whole edge borders, often with a contrasting corner square. Sometimes, I have each edge a different color, especially for kids or landscapes. I have made pieced borders, but usually prefer my inner-quilt to be what stands out most.
    Old 01-30-2010, 01:15 PM

My plan with the baby quilt is to use the same fabric for borders that I used for sashing - 2" finished width - so as to not take away from the quilt top itself - tho it's pretty busy in itself - would take a pretty wild border to draw attention away from the top! I have two blocks left over I plan to use for an almost matching baby doll quilt.
    Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM

I love that quilt, especially with all those bright colors!! I just got a top completed for a baby shower next weekend that is very bright/non-traditional also. I think that using those colors, they can use it longer. As for the borders, I try to make them all one length, but this last top I did, I had to piece. The fabric was directional and I didn't have enough for the length. I pieced at the top on one side and the bottom of the other. the fabric is so busy, it is not noticeable. This way the seams are not right across from one another.
    Old 01-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Cathy - I like your idea about the seam at the top on one side and the bottom of the other - but it was good to get ideas from so many others - thanks everybody! I have to get this quilt done by Tuesday when we go to Wisconsin to see my newest granddaughter that was just born last Wednesday night! The baby doll quilt will wait for her first birthday.