Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Borders >
  • Borders

• Borders

Old 06-17-2011, 03:22 PM
    Power Poster

Beautiful quilt - love the blues. I might try a darker blue with a pattern that had some of the other blues in it. I just ran out of fabric that I thought I had enough of for a narrow border after doing sashings, and had to rethink my inner border. Instead of having one solid narrow border, I continued using the darker blue sashing and corner stones for the outer border. This, again after I thought I had measured right, I had to cut down 1/4" to get enough and still had to piece a couple of sashing strips. I'm taking a break on my favorite site to visit with you all so that I can go back in and finish the sashing and corner stones (they are all sewn together, just have to sew then on the quilt), then I need to add the final border. Wish me luck. Then I have to iron the backing fabric to take to my girl friend's house tomorrow so she can help me pin baste it so that I can quilt it, bind it and get it out the door before July 4th. Prayers anyone? lol
    Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM

I'd go to your stash or LQS and find a blue that will go with the dark blue one in the quilt. It's going to finish up so pretty!
    Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 PM

My vote would be for the paisley print, how pretty!
    Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 PM

I think you should use the paisley print.
    Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM

I have found lots of fabric on-line when I ran short. Hopefully you know the name of the fabric, manufacturer, color name, etc. Just start searching on Google using the fabric or manufacturer name. Could bring up hundreds of hits. Do a search for Quilt Shops in your state, then go to each one & search for the fabric. Also, Hancocks of Paducah, Quilt Index, Fabric Shack in Waynesville, OH. Good Luck.
    Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 PM

I love what you have done. Great work. I like the idea of a pieced border with shades of the blues but I do like the paisley as well. It also looks great as it is so it just depends on the look you want and the size you want to achieve I guess. Nice work and hope to see what you choose.
    Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Why not use the same material as is in the blocks. The one with the pattern on it.
    Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    Beautiful quilt - love the blues. I might try a darker blue with a pattern that had some of the other blues in it. I just ran out of fabric that I thought I had enough of for a narrow border after doing sashings, and had to rethink my inner border. Instead of having one solid narrow border, I continued using the darker blue sashing and corner stones for the outer border. This, again after I thought I had measured right, I had to cut down 1/4" to get enough and still had to piece a couple of sashing strips. I'm taking a break on my favorite site to visit with you all so that I can go back in and finish the sashing and corner stones (they are all sewn together, just have to sew then on the quilt), then I need to add the final border. Wish me luck. Then I have to iron the backing fabric to take to my girl friend's house tomorrow so she can help me pin baste it so that I can quilt it, bind it and get it out the door before July 4th. Prayers anyone? lol
    Good luck lol...pictures when u finish...and thanks..
    Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM

I would take it to the quilt shop and start laying dk. blues along side it, til I found a dark blue that went with it. Very pretty quilt.
    Old 06-17-2011, 07:04 PM

What about your dark paisley and then bind it in a dark blue if you can find one you like? Your quilt is very pretty. Love the fabrics. :-)