Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Borders >
  • Borders

• Borders

Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM
    Power Poster

Both of these are wonderful tutorials on mitered borders, that board members have put together for us :D:D:D

If I was going to mitre multiple borders, I would sew all 4 borders first (sew all of the side pieces and top and bottom together) and then treat them each, as a single border. That way you are only mitering one border instead of several.

If you first sew the mitre with a very long basting stitch, you can quickly check to see if you are right on... if not? leave your thread tails long and just tug on the top thread and they come undone lickety split :wink:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-47911-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-21057-1.htm
    Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM

I measure my quilt longways through the center and cut the side borders the exact measurement (sometimes they may have to be pieced together). I find the center of the side of the quilt and the center of the border and pin the center points together. Then I start sewing them together with the border fabric closest to the feed dogs, easing if necessary. After pressing the long seam to the border, I measure the center and add the top and bottom borders in the same manner and press toward the border. Good luck with your quilt!
    Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM

I do my borders this way as well. I just add marking the quarter measurements as well as the half if the quilt is more than a twin. That way if there should be any fullness in the quilt end from the middle it will be equally distributed throughout the side of the quilt and the quilt will be brought back to being squared.
    Originally Posted by SHayes
    I measure my quilt longways through the center and cut the side borders the exact measurement (sometimes they may have to be pieced together). I find the center of the side of the quilt and the center of the border and pin the center points together. Then I start sewing them together with the border fabric closest to the feed dogs, easing if necessary. After pressing the long seam to the border, I measure the center and add the top and bottom borders in the same manner and press toward the border. Good luck with your quilt!
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
    When doing your borders do you pin or not pin?
    So far I didn't seem to have a problem with my pinning and
    when I was done with one side I had found a ripple effect. Have you had this happen?
    My borders are for a bom pattern and it didn't say to mitre them. And being bom pattern everything says to be cut a certain size already.
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 AM

By chance would my borders be rippley because the quilt an border (one or other0 may not be cut right?