Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bottle for oiling sewing machine. >
  • Bottle for oiling sewing machine.

• Bottle for oiling sewing machine.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:50 PM

I just use a regular 3 cc syringe (with a needle). They are less than a dollar at any farm store. I keep one with each machine.
    Old 07-12-2017, 03:59 AM
    Power Poster

I have the same pen shaped syringe that Peckish has for my domestic. For my longarm I use the zoom spout and have no issues with it being messy or putting out too much oil but my LA takes the larger M size bobbin so the bobbin race is also larger and I am not trying to squeeze into a super small area like my domestic.
    Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have a good idea now of some options. Patrice S, I loved Kimberly, your Old Sewing Machine Gal, in Katy, Tx when she taught a workshop on Featherweight maintenance at our Guild. I was so disappointed to learn she is closing her shop and moving -maybe to Montana. I live probably 3 hours away and could not go drool over other vintage machines she is selling. She and her husband did a wonderful job of walking a room full of ladies through cleaning and oiling our featherweights.
    Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by csstexas
    Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have a good idea now of some options. Patrice S, I loved Kimberly, your Old Sewing Machine Gal, in Katy, Tx when she taught a workshop on Featherweight maintenance at our Guild. I was so disappointed to learn she is closing her shop and moving -maybe to Montana. I live probably 3 hours away and could not go drool over other vintage machines she is selling. She and her husband did a wonderful job of walking a room full of ladies through cleaning and oiling our featherweights.
    Oh, no! She's closing her shop! I still haven't gotten the Rocketeer to her to look at. I'm so sad. I took her Featherweight maintenance class and it was awesome.
    Old 07-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Patrice S, she and her husband were super patient with all of us and helped us take apart and then reassemble the machines. I would never have had the nerve to attempt it if they had not been there to help. You need to visit one more time and see if they have any homeless vintage machines that need adoption. Lol Don't wait!
    Old 07-12-2017, 11:03 AM
    Power Poster

I found some at Hobby Lobby--they have a cap to put on when not in use. They were on sale too.
    Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 PM
    Power Poster

All auto stores have the refillable needle nose oil pens. I found a few in DH's tool box and they work great. I guess he never used them, he hasn't said anything about them being missing.
    Old 07-12-2017, 07:48 PM

You guys are good! You have all sorts of ideas about things that will work. Thank you so much.
    Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    My experience with every extending-spout oil I've had is that they're messy. They drip oil every time I pull out the spout (because it's covered with oil) and I always end up over-oiling because it drips so much and there's not much control over it (because the spout is covered with oil). Bad design, IMO.

Here's what I use. It's very inexpensive and refillable, and it's very easy to apply one single drop at a time. Just google "sewing machine oil syringe".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576336[/ATTACH]
    Peggi got me this syringe for Christmas one year, and extended-spout oilers are a thing of the past in my sewing room. This syringe seriously rocks at oiling! Pinpoint precision, and nothing comes out until I squeeze the tube!
    Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 AM

I have something altogether different made especially for Singer Featherweights. "NOVA'S Motor Lubricant". Comes in a tube with an applicator tip for easy use. Works great on my machine!