Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bought A New Husqvarna Viking Topaz 50 >
  • Bought A New Husqvarna Viking Topaz 50

• Bought A New Husqvarna Viking Topaz 50

Old 04-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Bought A New Husqvarna Viking Topaz 50

I traded in my Opal for the Topaz. I've had wanted the Sapphire for the extra throat space, but Viking has the Topaz 50 on sale for more than half off (I'm guessing a new model is coming out soon). It cannot do every stitch the Sapphire can, but it does do embroidery, so it seemed like a better deal.

I've never really embroidered, are there any tips for the wildly inexperienced?
    Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM

You will love embroidery. Lots of you tube videos to help you along the way.
    Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Plan on devoting lots of time practicing. And expect failure in the beginning. It’s a different mindset than quilting.I’d suggest keeping a log book with details of fabric used, what stabilizer, what hoop, pattern used and any adjustments, thread used, etc. and take a close up photo. YouTube is your best buddy unless you have someone near or can take classes. It is addicting.
    Old 04-07-2018, 12:04 PM

I really only convinced myself that the embroidery machine would be a good idea after I read about edge to edge quilting with the embroidery machine. That is my primary goal, although I'm sure I'll do some standard embroidery also. Might have to pay up for YouTube without commercials for the next year, as I learn.
    Old 04-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Congrats on your new machine!!!! I just got rid of mine (Topaz 30) and got a Brother. I loved my machine for about 7 years, then everything started to go on it.

The right stabilizer is VERY important ... tension is critical. I always had to lower the tension when I was doing embroidery.

Use embroidery thread - don't think you can get away with cotton. You might for a bit, but then the machine will change it's mind.

Give your machine a break after about an hour. I can't count how many times I wrecked a quilt because I had all day to do the embroidery on it and the machine messed up around the hour and 15 mark.

Use a brand new needle when you go to do embroidery - especially if you are going through three layers.

And have fun!!!! I am learning how to do it all on a different brand, and it's a frustrating process to learn all over again, but the end results are always the best!
    Old 04-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Crafter has some awesome classes
    Old 04-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Quick Q - can I embroider with any other food than the special "R" one? They didn't give me one in the box and the shop is closed until Monday. I'm ordering a "Q" foot, but that isn't in stock right now.

Last edited by Trudii; 04-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM

I just bought the Topaz 40, but haven't tried the embroidery yet. I need to learn the machine first. Then I want to embroidery some quilt blocks.
    Old 04-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Trudi,

Congrats on your new machine. Embroidery too? Oh my, you will have fun. There is usually a special foot for EMB and it should come with your machine. No additional purchase for it. My EMB foot connects into the back of machine (Babylock Spirit and Brother Dream).

Did your dealer offer free lessons too?

Be sure to try different needles for EMB. I recently switched to Microtex 90/14 and experience no breakage or thread issues. Some dealers recommend a Topstitch too. Don't forget a supply of pre-wound bobbins. There is more thread on them than a regular wound bobbin from what I understand.

Check all the packaging for accessories. One of my hoops was tucked in an odd place and could have been missed.

Post here with questions and we will help you. Again congrats!
    Old 04-07-2018, 02:45 PM

PS: Check out the projects here. It is a drop down menu with topics such as Videos, How-To & Tips, etc.

https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Defaul...AAEgIrC_D_BwE#

A favorite on Stabilizers and How-To information. I keep this at my fingertips and reference all the time.

http://www.rnkdistributing.com/resou...Stabilizer.pdf