Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bouncing Around >
  • Bouncing Around

• Bouncing Around

Old 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM

I like you BettyGee, work on several projects at a time. Seems I get a bit tired of what I'm working on and move to another. Then back to the original project and all seems new again. I always have quite a few going at a time.
    Brenda
    Old 03-16-2014, 01:59 PM
    Power Poster

A few years ago I realized that my concentration is not what it used to be. I too, like to jump back and forth on different quilts. Sometimes this works against me, as I lose interest in some of the harder ones, but I feel that if they are not finished by me, they may be finished by someone who comes after. I have completed 80 quilts since 2002 and that is not a bad record.
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Oh my gosh, you are describing me. I hop from project to project and I always have some new "shiny" idea! That's why I end up with so many piles in my sewing room. Those are for projects on the burners! The actual old UFO's are moved to a different holding area. Sometimes I get bored with cutting out so many pieces, making so many HST, I've reached a difficult part, or I'm starting to make mistakes/getting sloppy.

It's actually no surprise that I'm like this. When I was working, I was always juggling multiple projects in various stages of completion. And I work better under deadlines.
    Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 AM

You sound just like me. My first and only fulltime job I was a Lab Assistant. We got deliveries of specimens three times a day. It was always a race to get the first one done before the next one showed up. I always have plenty of sewing or quilting projects going at the same time Turning away from the computer I can see several projects that are in process. I am on the last step of at least a dozen Princess Pillowcase dresses, I made and or decorated a number of tote bags for a local food bank and I have a leather jacket that someone at church talked me into repairing for them. When I sit down to watch TV I always have fleece Linus blankets to crochet an edge around. etc. etc. Yesterday I hauled out my Accuquilt Go to make some appliques to brighten up the Pillowcase dresses. I should make a lot more appliques before I pack it up again.
    Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 AM

I also read more than 1 book at a time.
    Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450
    I must be odd! I do alterations for lots of folks, wedding and prom dresses (5 as we speak) and some LITE upholstery, now covering 4 dining chairs with double cording and shaped seats (new foam too) as well as two window treatments. That and quilts of valor...one being longarmed by a friend, one I am doing stars on the embroidery machine (oh did I forget to say I do logos and monogram work on that) and one is cut out and layed out, now to piece it together. I have a batik quilt planned for my DD, but it is on the back burner for now, maybe for Christmas!

I just do what drives me, or what is on deadline, 2 dresses this week, but not hard, so lots of time to work on the chairs. I do hand work at nite when I leave the studio behind. I am a nite owl, so I don't work early am. I love my sewing room, I sometimes just go out there and piddle, straighten, organize, and then leave! I get a lot done, but I do sometimes get stressed by deadlines, however I can just say no! I might have to slow down when I get "older" as I am only 70 right now!
    You are a busy lady and it sounds like we are alike in our habits. I'm 73 and when I get older I might have to stick with one project at a time, but for now...
    Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama
    I like you BettyGee, work on several projects at a time. Seems I get a bit tired of what I'm working on and move to another. Then back to the original project and all seems new again. I always have quite a few going at a time.
    Brenda
    That is me, good to know I'm not alone in my habits. Of course I started a quick project yesterday morning and by dinner time it still wasn't finished. Ah well it will be my go to project when I get too tied up in something difficult.
    Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    I also read more than 1 book at a time.
    Me too. Variety is the spice of life, or so they say. We must be doing something right.
    Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma
    Oh my gosh, you are describing me. I hop from project to project and I always have some new "shiny" idea! That's why I end up with so many piles in my sewing room. Those are for projects on the burners! The actual old UFO's are moved to a different holding area. Sometimes I get bored with cutting out so many pieces, making so many HST, I've reached a difficult part, or I'm starting to make mistakes/getting sloppy.

It's actually no surprise that I'm like this. When I was working, I was always juggling multiple projects in various stages of completion. And I work better under deadlines.
    I was a paralegal before I retired and the deadlines were never ending. I always said when I retired that I'd slow down. But I've found that if I know I have to have a project done I am happier pushing myself. What's up with that?
    Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

I just walk away when a project starts to go wrong. I've learned that once I start making mistakes it's time to turn my attentions to something else. I find myself making changes in the middle of the night when I go for a bathroom break on something that is driving me nuts. :-(