Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bouncing Around >
  • Bouncing Around

• Bouncing Around

Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 AM

I like to have a different project at each stage of the process, so when I get tired of cutting I can go piece or quilt or something.
    Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM

I usually have several projects going on too! Like Raggiemom - I enjoy (NEED) the variety.
    Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Right now I have one quilt ready to be quilted when that bug bites. I have 3 that are now ready to be pinned (pieced the backs last week). I'm piecing on a Dear Jane quilt -- just started and appliqueing on a Halloween Baltimore. I also make American Girl doll clothes once a month. I like to work on a variety of projects, which one depends on my mood.
    Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM
    Power Poster

I always have several projects on the go at any time. I like to stand back and study a WIP and play around with them. SO while I am pondering any little thing I will work on another project.

peace
    Old 03-18-2014, 02:27 AM

I have many projects going. Last time I counted it was 15 in progress. Just keep coming up with more things to do.
    Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 AM

I guess I'm the odd one here as I tend to work on one project at a time especially if it is something big like a quilt. I'll admit that sometimes by the time I am finished with a quilt I am more than ready to be finished with it interest wise but I don't have UFOs that people talk about lying around this way. When I get into overload sewing I just go do something else.
    Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 AM

Oh yes!
    I usually have 3 going. And when I finish one I'm planning another as I work.
    I think the break clears your head and it slows you down so you can plan your next steps.

MaryKatherine
    Old 03-18-2014, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieSue
    I like to have a different project at each stage of the process, so when I get tired of cutting I can go piece or quilt or something.
    Same as AnnieSue, I find it productive to have 2 or 3 projects going on...right now, I have a quilt top on the frame, another project in the cutting stage, another quilt ready for the binding to be sewn to the back and lots of ideas floating in my head, smile.

When I go on a retreat, I find it helps to have a few projects on hand to bounce back and forth to keep me awake, lol.
    Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450
    I must be odd! I do alterations for lots of folks, wedding and prom dresses (5 as we speak) and some LITE upholstery, now covering 4 dining chairs with double cording and shaped seats (new foam too) as well as two window treatments. That and quilts of valor...one being longarmed by a friend, one I am doing stars on the embroidery machine (oh did I forget to say I do logos and monogram work on that) and one is cut out and layed out, now to piece it together. I have a batik quilt planned for my DD, but it is on the back burner for now, maybe for Christmas!

I just do what drives me, or what is on deadline, 2 dresses this week, but not hard, so lots of time to work on the chairs. I do hand work at nite when I leave the studio behind. I am a nite owl, so I don't work early am. I love my sewing room, I sometimes just go out there and piddle, straighten, organize, and then leave! I get a lot done, but I do sometimes get stressed by deadlines, however I can just say no! I might have to slow down when I get "older" as I am only 70 right now!
    You made me tired just reading your post !!! Congrats to you for being so industrious & creative. Just think of all the people that think when one retires, we just sit around & watch TV. They should all read your post............do you even have a TV ????? lol You are certainly inspiring !!!
    Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 AM

Well, it sounds like most of us like working on several projects at once. I've decided that there's a very smart reason for doing more than one project at a time.

I discovered very early that when I have something that is very difficult for me, it's best to take myself away and let my brain go to work. I'd study at night for a test the next day and when I'd wake up, my brain would have sorted things out and I'd do well on the test. It didn't work well if I'd try to cram all that information in right before the test. The same thing works when I'm sewing or knitting... or any of the other things I like to do. When I get to a difficult spot.... I set things down and go off to work on something else that's less challenging. When I come back to whatever I was working on, my brain would have figured out what needed to be done and I'm back on track.

I know I'm not unique. My DH works a couple of difficult crossword puzzles every day. He'll work on them at night, set them aside when he goes to bed and finish them in the morning after his brain has worked out the answers that he couldn't think of the night before. He's amazed at how easy the answers are once his brain has had the time to work on it.

Yup.... the brain is an amazing thing.... and it's good exercise to give it a good workout once in a while.