Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bow Tuck purse everyday use? >
  • Bow Tuck purse everyday use?

• Bow Tuck purse everyday use?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM

My cousin requested that I make her a bag. Made the Large Bowtuck with a couple of alterations. Gave it to her last July/August & she has carried it since. While it does not look like new, she is hard on her bags & it still looks good. On the other hand I made her mother the mini-bowtuck & gave it to her earlier this year. It still looks like new. This is only due to the fact that, and I quote,"I don't want to use it and ruin it, because it is so pretty!" and she has it hanging on her treadmill. I told my cousin that she would have a new purse if something happened to her Mom.
    There have been many comments on how to make them on the board. I will say that if you use the materials that are recommended in the pattern, your bag will look more professional and hold up better. Some people have said that they use left over batting for the quilting. I did this one one of the bags, and I was not as happy with it as the others that had the better materials.

Good Luck!
    Susan
    Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Angellight
    My cousin requested that I make her a bag. Made the Large Bowtuck with a couple of alterations. Gave it to her last July/August & she has carried it since. While it does not look like new, she is hard on her bags & it still looks good. On the other hand I made her mother the mini-bowtuck & gave it to her earlier this year. It still looks like new. This is only due to the fact that, and I quote,"I don't want to use it and ruin it, because it is so pretty!" and she has it hanging on her treadmill. I told my cousin that she would have a new purse if something happened to her Mom.
    There have been many comments on how to make them on the board. I will say that if you use the materials that are recommended in the pattern, your bag will look more professional and hold up better. Some people have said that they use left over batting for the quilting. I did this one one of the bags, and I was not as happy with it as the others that had the better materials.

Good Luck!
    Susan
    Yes, that specific type of Pellon is the key.
    Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Wish I lived NEAR one of you all...I'd really like to have one of these for my granddaughter. I may have to practice on a simple one first. Thanks for the instructions... Va. Tech country is not far away -- one of you referenced a daughter, I think, going to school there some years ago. Boy, that Va Tech logo is big around here in VIRGINIA. (however, my son is a UVA guy and the rivalry continues!)
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 AM

I use my every day. I now have 7 different ones I rotate. I love them. I remove the bottom insert and then throw them in the wash machine. I line dry them. Can't tell you how many times people have stopped and asked me where I bought them. After I say I made it, people always want to know if I make them to sell. The answer is NO Thank YOu.
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Was thinking of MAKING a purse for my granddaughter to carry when she goes to Europe in June. Does anyone have any TIPS on what kind to make or how to make it for that trip? I know pick-pockets are prevalent and she needs something to hold CLOSE to her body so the strap won't be cut, etc.
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM

The pattern is from Penny Sturgis and can be ordered off of the internet. Maybe some of the LQS have it but I ordered mine. Love it.
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM

I've used two that I made, one with the fusible fleece, and one more lightweight with a sew-in. Both have held up well with every day use, though I did have to repair one seam which came apart a bit. I think if I make another one, I will increase the seam allowances in the sides and bottom a smidgen so it won't pull apart so easily. I do love them and get many compliments on them.
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM

The pattern is from Penny Sturgis and can be ordered off of the internet. Maybe some of the LQS have it but I ordered mine. Love it.
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
    Got mine from Connecting Threads
    Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 AM

I use mine everyday in fact I have a few that I switch off with. Like someone else stated get good fabric and they hold up very well. Mine is 3 years old.

Your Mom will just love it. :-)