Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bow Tucks Makers >
  • Bow Tucks Makers

• Bow Tucks Makers

Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 AM

Thisis a hard situation , but it took me a long time to learn the word , NO , I only sew for my pleasure , dont for someone else to give away .
    Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 AM

I tell people if they want me to make them a bag, that if I start making them to SELL, that it is no longer a hobby , it is then a job. I retired so I didn't have to work. The sewing quilting etc is my hobby not my job!
    Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 AM

I make different things as gifts for my family and grandchildren....birthdays, holidays, etc., just as you all do. These are the only "free" things I make.

I have told many friends and acquaintances that I cannot make free sewing things for people. I will help out with anything I can...bake sales, cook for shut-ins, church volunteering, auctions, lots of things. But, I have explicitly told anyone that says "Oh, make me one of those", that I give and do everything else for free...but will not do any sewing or quilting for free.

When you tell everyone the same thing, they understand and are not offended. I haven't lost a friend....yet.
    Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 AM

I'm not sure from reading your post whether or not the person asking was asking you to make them for free. If you don't mind making them (for a charge)
    I'd just tell them to give you $_____.00 and you'd be happy to.

I did some extensive genealogy research a couple of years ago and my sister in law told one of her friends about it. The friend asked if I would do one line of her family for her. I told her yes, I'd be happy to if she would send me a check for $100.00 to get started. I never got the check----I never did the work!

Easy peasy.
    Roxanne
    Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 AM

Oh Dingle, your time and your skills are too valuable. Please don't let people take advantage of you. Set a reasonable price (not give away pricing) and your materials cost and tell people you no longer make bags for those you give bags to---for free. Tell them your charge and ask for it up front or at least for your materials cost up front. This way you still can make and 'give' bags to those you want to but it doesn't become an endless giving process for you.

When we had a workshop/2 car garage built we had to put a sizable 'nonrefundable' downpayment on it before they brought anyone out to start the work.

If you at least get your materials charge up front and they don't come through with the final payment 'before' you hand the bag over to them, you can at least turn around and sell it or give it to someone you want to 'give' it to.

I haven't read everyone else's replies but I am sure I am not the first to say your time and skills are too valuable to let others take advantage of you.

:-D :-D :-D
    Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 AM

Making them for the joy of giving to others is fun to do, but when everyone else wants one made it turns into a chore and after devoting all your time and effort to making them it becomes as tedious as an assembly line. Just say "no", you have too many projects in the work making things for yourself.
    Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    I have made several bags of my own design which I have given to friends and family members for birthdays, etc. When others attending the parties have asked me to make bags for them either to give as gifts to others or to keep for themselves I just reply, "Oh, I'll be happy to do that. I charge $60 per bag for this particular style. What colors would you like and how many?" This sends the message loud and clear that I expect my work to be valued as a one-of-a-kind creation and that I expect to be compensated for it, just like any other artist or professional business person.
    I like your approach. It tells them in no uncertain terms that you don't work for free.

:thumbup:
    Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 AM

Our time is valuable, our supplies are costly, either you give them as gifts or you sell them. I sell mine for 50$ and when I use my burberry fabric they go for 60$ each. Here the Pellon is expensive and not always easy to find as for the burberry fabric, I have to travel quite far to find it.
    People just love this bag as it's so practical for different uses, I think that's why they like them so much. They sell really well, so why not keep sewing them.....
    Old 10-12-2010, 07:58 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Craftygirl
    Please where do I go on line to buy a bow tuck pattern. I haven't been able to find one over here.
    Just search for Bow Tuck Purse Pattern. They pop up on multiple websites. Sometimes they are available on eBay.
    Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 AM

I had the same experience. I was doing private duty nursing and had been on the case years and frequently mad something for the mother. Then her sister wanted one and then their mother,etc. I would do freebies if it was just putting a name on a purse or stocking but let them know I charged for complicated stuff or making bags,etc. I was charging $25. and embroidered a design to match the purse. After I had done the 3 in the family then their friends started wanting one. I finally figured out I was making $2.50 hour so quit making them.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-114375.jpe   attachment-114376.jpe   attachment-114377.jpe